PDA

View Full Version : 94 Cherokee Tranny to 95 Body

PhotoDoctor
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I recently bought a 94 Cherokee that runs great but the paint is all burnt up from sitting outside in Florida. I was going to paint it myself or have it painted but just ran across a 95 model on Craigs list that looks great but has a bad tranny.

Both have the inline 4.0 - I would like to know if the transmission is a direct swap? Both are 2wd. (The price on the body is less than a good paint job)

Thanks in advance

NW99XJ
03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
So your thinking of swapping the tranny over from the one you have to the one on CL?
Its doable....the only thing that you'd run into would be drive line differences, and that would only pop up if there were a difference in axles.
New seals, fresh fluids, and new U-joints in the drive lines, and I'd say you have yourself a pretty good deal.
I'd re-install the bad tranny into the (now) donor Jeep, and re-coup some of your expenses.
Sell it off for a deal that cant be passed up to get rid of it.....

Be sure to REALLY go over the engine of the Craigslist one though.
You wouldn't want any surprises after all that work.

PhotoDoctor
03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info. So it would be a direct bolt-up to the motor and the possibility of some drive shaft work may exist. I could measure the shafts before buying. And good thought on checking the motor, I could run a compression test on the motor to reduce the risk.

The 94 is a Cherokee Country and the 95 is a Grand Cherokee if that makes any difference.

I'm a good wrench but the jeep is new to me so I have a learning curve to get through as to what parts are Interchangeable.

4.3LXJ
03-12-2013, 08:26 PM
It does. That is valuable info. Make sure the GC tranny is an AW4. Many of the ZJs had 42REs in them which will not be compatible with your electronics as well as not as good a tranny.

NW99XJ
03-13-2013, 08:32 AM
The 94 is a Cherokee Country and the 95 is a Grand Cherokee if that makes any difference.

I'm a good wrench but the jeep is new to me so I have a learning curve to get through as to what parts are Interchangeable.
Oh yea....I though it was XJ to XJ, ....yea you're prob not going to be able to do this going from an XJ to a ZJ.....
Crawl under and look though!
You MAY find an AW4 under there, but its doubtful.
If you have a MACO in your area, they are advertising a $300 paint special.
There is also usually people on Craigslist that advertise painting services.
Good luck!

PhotoDoctor
03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Yes, I might be smart to just paint the XJ and not do the swap.(Too many projects as is) I'll explore the paint options. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers