PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bar Braking System and Tow Bar brackets

DavidEnoch
03-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I am wanting to tow my 2000 Cherokee Sport behind my Honda Odyssey van. The Odyssey is barely rated to tow this much weight. I will need some type of braking system on the Cherokee to help get everything stopped. My uncle is recommending the Ready Brake system which is a mechanical system popular with RV guys. . To hook the tow bar to the unibody frame requires tow bar brackets. This is a really expensive system with the tow bar costing around $600 and the brackets over $300.

What would you guys recommend for a towing braking system? Even if this tow system is what I need if I could just come up with cheaper brackets it would help. I see tow hook brackets for a lot less and wonder why tow bar brackets are so expensive?

Thanks,

David Enoch

4.3LXJ
03-12-2013, 12:36 AM
David, I know quite a bit about XJs, but this is one area I am at a loss with. I just don't hang around with the motor home crowd so I cannot offer advice on towing brakes. But I might be able to save you a few bucks on tow bar brackets. XJs have a factory option for towing hooks. These are also bumper mounts with extra places to bolt to the frame and have two horizontal plates to accept tow hooks under the bumper. These are plenty strong and I think would work for you, depending on how the tow bar hooks up.

msmoorenburg
03-12-2013, 06:20 AM
dose your van have the cvt tranny? If so don't risk it. they can barely handle a jetski

DavidEnoch
03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
David, I know quite a bit about XJs, but this is one area I am at a loss with. I just don't hang around with the motor home crowd so I cannot offer advice on towing brakes. But I might be able to save you a few bucks on tow bar brackets. XJs have a factory option for towing hooks. These are also bumper mounts with extra places to bolt to the frame and have two horizontal plates to accept tow hooks under the bumper. These are plenty strong and I think would work for you, depending on how the tow bar hooks up.

Sorry for the late reply to your timely answer.
Would I get these factory option bracket for tow hooks from a Jeep dealer?
Thanks,
David Enoch

4.3LXJ
03-29-2013, 10:04 AM
I do believe one of our members had some for sale recently for $45. Check our for sale area, also Craigs List for tow bar brackets. They are not real plentiful, but they are out there for reasonable prices