PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on splash shield

cpttuna
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
My son came home from college on spring break. I went out to change the oil on his 01 XJ. To my surprise, there was no splash shield under the engine. With a new one(55174736) costing $81.00, I decided to make something instead. I got 2 old floor mats and using zip ties constructed my own splash shield. Anyone see any problems using pieces of old floor mats?

4.3LXJ
03-06-2013, 01:18 PM
None at all. Good job

billyjack
03-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Thats a good idea. when i put the new lift on mine i noticed my splash sheild was wasted. did the same thing by checking online for a new one and couldnt believe the cost.

I ended up using what is called a "Blanket" used by lineman to throw over the powerlines as a insulator while they are working by the lines. you can go to almost any utility or co-op and ask for a defected one. they have tons that they trow away because of small tears or burn holes.

Heres a pic of mine.....pretty heavy duty stuff!

XJScarlet
03-07-2013, 09:52 AM
What year did they start using splash shields?

LizardRunner
03-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Now those are some great minds at work right there. Improvisation at its finest. I'm going to steal them for the red lizard. As far as I know, all XJ's started life with a splash shield, it seems to be mostly good to keep mud out of the low mount alternator and other places mud should not go.

XJScarlet
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
It makes sense. I have never seen a XJ with one. :confused:

4.3LXJ
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
My 86 had one. I finally let it rest in peace recently

prcjeep
03-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Mine was toast when I bought my XJ so i pulled it out... After a little more time i tore off my factory front skid plate while wheeling...

prcjeep
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Thats a good idea. when i put the new lift on mine i noticed my splash sheild was wasted. did the same thing by checking online for a new one and couldnt believe the cost.

I ended up using what is called a "Blanket" used by lineman to throw over the powerlines as a insulator while they are working by the lines. you can go to almost any utility or co-op and ask for a defected one. they have tons that they trow away because of small tears or burn holes.

Heres a pic of mine.....pretty heavy duty stuff!

Might be a dumb question but whats an example of a location for a utility or co-op. For instance, in Houston, Center Point handles most if not all of the electric lines. What would the place be called?

cpttuna
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
I would check out and see where all the utility trucks are parked. after the post, I went to the city ops building where my town's elect dept is. They did not have any "blankets".

Brasscatz
03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
When they said they didn't have any blankets, you should've said "Damn... I really wanted to cuddle." and walked off :thumbsup:

4x4Dalton
03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Ill check with my dad in Va. He is always doin work with the power company. Ill see if he can score some and send um my way.

4.3LXJ
03-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Another source would be anyplace they have nice wide conveyor belts. They replace them periodically and might have scraps or whole ones in the bone yard

billyjack
03-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Might be a dumb question but whats an example of a location for a utility or co-op. For instance, in Houston, Center Point handles most if not all of the electric lines. What would the place be called?

Center point would be your utility. i did alittle research and things are alittle diffrent in texas as to the midwest on saftey practices.( funny its not like what will KILL you in one area wont in the next!) either way i did some looking and what you need to find is either a lineman for the utility or a contractor who builds the electric lines. they should know where to find one at. I also found the phone number to the union over houston. they should be able to get some of these "blankets" for you guys in texas. the # is (713)869-8900 ur looking for the "utility dept." they will be able to get ahold of some. I have about 20 of these in my garage and whould ship them to anyone who would like one but the shipping would cost due to the weight of these things. either way let me know if i can help and i will do what i can.

LizardRunner
03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Any grainery will have wide belts that are worn out. If it happens to be one that loads ships, they will be up to 6 feet wide.