PDA

View Full Version : Another possible repair. Back left wheel area

dagod16
03-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Grinding noise coming fro the back left wheel area. I had a flat, rolled it into a shop near my work and I had them check out this grinding noise that seems to be getting louder but no big deal. The place said the rear brake drum lip can rub on the protective plate behind it. Sometimes rust builds up and the two rub together. I was watching them and they showed me the inside lip of the rear drum and it has rust on it that the brakes did not rub off. So it could be that!!!!

For no charge they grinded off some of the rust but it did not fix the problem. Although I have no flat tire anymore hahaha. I paid $12 bucks for the flat and nothing for the work they did. They even adjust my rear brakes for me real quick and they work much better.

I'm worried it's a bad bearing. No leaking fluid, no drips on the cement. But I think I can have grinding without leaks since the seal could still be good. It doesn't grind going around a turn any more than driving down the street.

Your thoughts.

I'm taking it to a place I trust in the next few days.

Do the repairs never end.

In the last twelve months I've done.
Rear ring and pinion
radiator
muffler
evap coil
heater coil
compressor for the AC
hmmm lets see. Jesus!!!!!!

Can I borrow some money. Do the repairs end?

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Probably wheel bearing. I posted a thread in the tech section on how to replace one

dagod16
03-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Well this is something I would have someone do for me. How much does that cost typically?

4.3LXJ
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
$40 plus an hour of labor whatever that is

dagod16
03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Well hopefully they will only charge me $40 plus labor. But who knows.

So maybe only $200 or $250 is what your kinda thinking.

4.3LXJ
03-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Or less

dagod16
03-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Ok, good, I was worried it was going to be outrageously expensive.

I also don't let anyone work on my gears and bearings. I take it to a real good transmission shop. They did a great job on my ring and pinion so I know they do good work. I would rather have this done right so I don't keep going back.