PDA

View Full Version : 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport Build

Xcitethephugoid
03-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Just joined this thread, I'm a 18 year old high school Senior who just got an XJ 6 months ago. (Meh mommy bought it for me <3) It's a 4x4, 4.0L 6 cyl engine. Ive got big plans for this jeep, but small pockets. I was thinking a 4.5 RC lift with some bigger tires. But I dont wanna stop there. So take a look, help me out by giving me some tips with some easy mods I can do to make me stand out. (In a good way!)

Xcitethephugoid
03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Here are some pics

4.3LXJ
03-03-2013, 05:25 PM
That is a nice clean white XJ

Brasscatz
03-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Hello and welcome! Excited to see this thing progress!

Xcitethephugoid
06-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Update on my XJ. Well it's been a long time since I started this thread, but I've just graduated and received a crap load of grad money, (and my job as a pizza maker has earned me some cash) and I've used it to get a sweet deal of off 4wd.com I got a set of 4 procomp xtreme MT2's 33x12.50. And a set of their steel 15inch rims. 4 tires and 4 rims for 1k. I essentially got the rims for free. Now, I have another 1k going into the 4.5 inch RC lift kit and installation this coming Monday and Tuesday (Hopefully)...

XJ Wheeler
06-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Thats gonna be a nice transformation.

Mudderoy
06-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Update on my XJ. Well it's been a long time since I started this thread, but I've just graduated and received a crap load of grad money, (and my job as a pizza maker has earned me some cash) and I've used it to get a sweet deal of off 4wd.com I got a set of 4 procomp xtreme MT2's 33x12.50. And a set of their steel 15inch rims. 4 tires and 4 rims for 1k. I essentially got the rims for free. Now, I have another 1k going into the 4.5 inch RC lift kit and installation this coming Monday and Tuesday (Hopefully)...

Be prepared to trim the front fenders. 32's are about as big as I was able to get on my 98 with the RC 4.5" lift.

TimmyTXJ
06-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Thats gonna be a nice transformation.

Heck yeah it is! There's just something about white XJs on black rolling stock. Congrats on the graduation Brandon and good luck with the lift! :)

Xcitethephugoid
06-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Dropped my jeep off at the shop today to get the lift and tires installed. I know it's just a car, but it felt like I was letting go of my kids hand as he gets on the bus for his first day of school.

4.3LXJ
06-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Just like taking it to a barber for proper grooming :D

XJ Wheeler
06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Dropped my jeep off at the shop today to get the lift and tires installed. I know it's just a car, but it felt like I was letting go of my kids hand as he gets on the bus for his first day of school.

Been there. Watching it through the window... Calling to check up on my baby... or just plain waiting there to make sure nobody hurts her. :D

Xcitethephugoid
06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
So the mechanic called me a couple hours after I dropped off my xj. He told me my U joints had become loose in my steering. He hasn't given me an estimate of how much it will cost to repair it. But I'm sure it wont be anything less than $200 total. I'm kinda bumed, didn't want to have to spend more money.

LizardRunner
06-27-2013, 09:28 AM
That's going to be one sweet ride.

Xcitethephugoid
06-28-2013, 07:48 PM
It rolled out of the shop today, and I have to say, I could barley speak. I drove it to work right after I picked it up, and my boss got upset with me because I parked it right in the front just so I could stare at it in my free time. The mechanic told me some of the problems right off, I need to buy a steering stabilizer from RC, replace the U joints, and fix a stiff piston in the break caliber. But for now, I'll cherish the moment.

oderdene
06-28-2013, 08:35 PM
wow, looks really good. fantastic conversion, What a beauty. Go for trimming and cut n fold.

Why did you mirrored photo?

Xcitethephugoid
06-28-2013, 09:36 PM
wow, looks really good. fantastic conversion, What a beauty. Go for trimming and cut n fold.

Why did you mirrored photo?

I think I'm going to keep the trim. I've bought 4 cans of plasti dip to fix the sun damage. I mirrored thew photo because I wanted it to match the before picture. I was hoping no one would notice :rolleye0012:

Brasscatz
06-28-2013, 09:44 PM
you can use a new stock steering stabilizer... it will work just as well even with a lift on it. Plasti-Dip is awesome stuff! Everything on my Jeep that is black is Plasti-Dip! It's a great way to paint things black and have the ability to peel it off if you want!

XJ Wheeler
06-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Now that turned out awesome! I woulda done the same thing with parking in front to look at it, actually oftentimes i do. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
06-30-2013, 02:23 AM

Yep, when I have (in the past) had a shop do work on my Jeep, I stayed and kept and eye on the work they were doing. No one cares about my vehicle like I do.

I bet you're excited about the lift and tires.

cantab27
06-30-2013, 03:21 AM
tis not a CAR tis a JEEP .....carry on as you were

Mudderoy
06-30-2013, 04:05 AM
tis not a CAR tis a JEEP .....carry on as you were

Yep in Texas it is a truck according to the DMV.

Jeeplover88
06-30-2013, 04:20 AM
That looks fantastic!! Congratulations! I'm hoping to give my XJ a proper lift and shoes before the end if the summer!
P.S.-I would have parked in front too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArmyGuy45
06-30-2013, 04:37 AM
How much flex do you get with 4.5 on 33's?

Xcitethephugoid
02-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Been a while since I did an update on my Cherokee, so I decided I should get back into this build thread.

After my lift kit I decided I wanted to fix my sun damaged trim. Bought 4 cans of this awesome stuff called plasti dip (peelable rubber paint) Rushed through the process a little bit, mainly because my girlfriend at the time wanted me to come over that day so I had to do the whole car in about six hours.

Here's a quick shot of the trim before

My awesome masking skills (don't hate)

And here is the final product!

But I paid the price, 6-7 hours in the sun with no shirt on, probably the worst sunburn I've ever had :mad0090: :bang::flameon: