PDA

View Full Version : Fender trimming & Flares

RVXJ
03-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking that I need to trim my fenders and add some flares. I'm supposed to have 4.5" of lift but am thinking it may not be. Tires are 32" and the tires seem to be rubbing a bit sometimes (not even wheeling) at the bottom of the fenders flares (stock). I want to know if and how much fender trimming will give me adaquete clearance, along with some appropreate bump stops. Thanks for any info.

4.3LXJ
03-03-2013, 12:01 PM
First off, here is how to tell how high your lift is

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

You can remove the flares and cut and fold the lip to the pinch seam front and rear.

RVXJ
03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
OK, thanks for that info. Looks like I have about a 4" lift.
Is there any difference to cut and fold versus trimming? How much clearance can be gained by doing this without getting into the spot welds?

XJ Wheeler
03-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Removing the flares alone will probably give you about 1". In the rear there's not much metal the can be cut before you get into spot weld territory, maybe 1/2". In the rear you don't want to cut past the spot welds, obviously, hence the cut and fold method. In the front cut to your hearts desire, just watch out for the washer fluid bottle.

cantab27
03-03-2013, 09:03 PM
flex her up mate and see where shes rubbing ....some links on here about trimming ..give us a yell and will find a couple...sweet looking xj mate

RVXJ
03-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks XJwheelr & Cantab. I'm going to go ahead and remove my stock flares and flex it and see what it looks like. Will post my findings.