PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust questions

islandbum
03-02-2013, 11:02 PM
My 92 4.0 needs a new exhaust system. I don't want big sound or anything like that just upgrade from the worn out stock.
I have questions. Is dual worth the Money?
While it is being done should I replace the catalytic Converter?
What has worked for you Guys?

bigjim350
03-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Dualing it out is not worth the money. The only way to do a true dual on a straight 6 is by using a split header, which are expensive. May as well replace the cat while your at it. You can get a universal high flow Magnaflow cat pretty cheap from summit racing or jegs. As far as muffler goes, well just depends on the sound you want. Im running a highflow cat and a SLP loudmouth muffler, like the sound but its pretty damn loud.

bluedragon436
03-03-2013, 12:35 AM
I don't think duals are worth the money at all at least not on our engines... I have a Flowmaster 40 series w/ 2.5" piping from the cat back, and love the sound of it... I have heard a few folks that have the Magnaflow mufflers and they sound pretty nice, just not a whole lot louder than stock... Then again I'm sure if you replace the cat w/ a highflow unit... the exhaust would probably be nicer sounding and would def free up the flow of exhaust...

4.3LXJ
03-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Forget duals. In order to have a true dual, you would need to be running the 00 - 01 engine and computer with the four O2 sensors. A good single is just as good.

LizardRunner
03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Stick with the single, replace the cat with a high flow model, get as quiet a muffler as you like. Magna flow makes some that are fairly quiet or just go with a stock type muffler.

subsonic
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
I would replace the cat when you are doing t he exhaust if it is the original cat. Might as well take care of it while you are digging into the exhaust.

I run the Walker Dynomax system and love it. My boddy has the Flowmaster on his XJ and that is nice too. Hard to go wrong with either one.

Metlic53
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM
i run the APN header, 2.5 inch exhaust pipe to my 2.5 in magnaflow high flow cat, then 2.5 to my flowmaster super 40 dumped before axle with a 3.5 in turn down. dont dump the exhaust unless you want alot of drone, it gives me a headache lol im going to fix it. apn header made it sound better and felt more improvement from the engine.