PDA

View Full Version : NSS problems

bcso290
02-28-2013, 01:10 AM
First off I would like to say that I am new to wheeling so be kind. The last couple of weeks I sometimes had to shift into neutral to get it to start. Yesterday Nothing! Today back to the neutral start.

My question is, can I install a rocker switch that engages the starter with the key in the run position. If so, how? I know that I need to run a hot wire from the positive side of the battery to one side of the switch but where do I run the other side? Not sure if this can even work but thought I would ask. I know alot of your are going to say "just take off the NSS and clean it" but I dont want to risk breaking it completly and having to be out the money for a new NSS.

I've been told to connect the B and C wire in the connector but have also read that this can cause problems as well. So, I dont really want to do this.

Any suggestions?

nickyg
02-28-2013, 01:42 AM
My problem with my NSS was my backup lights wouldn't come on.
I got a NSS from the junk yard for 4 bucks. took it apart, Cleaned it (I saw a write up some where) then installed it. It was real easy to do..
If I'm not mistaken. The NSS has someting to do with kicking your tranny onto overdrive. I don't think you want to bypass it.

cantab27
02-28-2013, 01:47 AM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13220

very easy to do...welcome to site ......

bcso290
02-28-2013, 03:45 AM
I diffently have this link bookmarked. Just looking for a backup plan. Gonna call some local tranny shops tomorrow and see if they have an old one lying around.

weasel
02-28-2013, 06:29 AM
my nss cannot be taken apart it is 3 prong but only 15 bucks new thank goodness but untill i got it fixed i did a redneckification got 2 pieces wire a toggle ad 2 aligator clips hooked them to starter and ran wire inside just turn key and flip of a switch and easy to unhook thats just my 2 cents

4.3LXJ
02-28-2013, 09:53 AM
To answer your original question, here is an illustration of your starter relay. Once you have power to your switch, you can go to the ignition terminal on the relay. But a better way is to take the ground wire and ground it, bypassing the NSS

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/starter_motor_relay1_199c-1.gif

bcso290
02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Not sure I'm following what ground wire you are speaking of? Can bypassing the NSS screw up the overdrive?

Mudderoy
02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Not sure I'm following what ground wire you are speaking of? Can bypassing the NSS screw up the overdrive?

NSS, Neutral Safety Switch shouldn't have anything to do with over drive. It is there to keep you (or some kid) from starting the Jeep while it's in gear. It allows you to start the engine if the shifter is in Park or Neutral.

You could install a switch that bypasses the NSS, which I think would be the simplest thing to do. It addresses the problem directly, specifically the failing NSS.

NSS failure isn't unusual and pretty much 100% it just needs to be cleaned.

Another thing you can try is turn the key to the run position, motor off. Foot on brake, and cycle the automatic transmission shifter back and forth several times and see if good old friction will clean it well enough for it to work.

I did this with mine when I started getting a CEL about the NSS. That was years ago, and the problem has never returned.

4.3LXJ
02-28-2013, 05:47 PM

The one from the ground terminal in the pic. No it will not affect overdrive

bcso290
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Talked to a guy I know that owns a junk yard. He was going to pull one off a junk jeep today and only wants $20 or so for it. So, if I break it getting it off, I will have a replacement or if it is fine I will have a back up. Thanks again to everyone for all the help. People are a lot nicer on here than they are on Pirate4X4.

Carves
02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Talked to a guy I know that owns a junk yard. He was going to pull one off a junk jeep today and only wants $20 or so for it. So, if I break it getting it off, I will have a replacement or if it is fine I will have a back up. Thanks again to everyone for all the help. People are a lot nicer on here than they are on Pirate4X4.

:thumbsup:

Be gentle with main nut/shaft ... and its probably a good idea to spread a sheet/large towel out, when you pull the NSS apart.

... If they arent stuck in the stale grease - you would be surprised at just how far the tiny little internal springs can bounce ... :bang: .. :D

junglejuice
03-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Ok first of all it will depend dramatically on what year model as I have never seen a starter relay on any of the models here that look like the one pictured.
If it is a 94-01 then the NSS WILL ABSOLUTELY affect the overdrive as it sends a signal to the TCC to say what range the transmission is in, this style of NSS is very easy to dis-assemble, clean, re-lubricate and re-install.
Gojeep's site has a good write up on how to perform this task....

bcso290
03-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Probably should have specified earlier it is on a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Mudderoy
03-01-2013, 02:26 AM

:D Pirate is known for it's "direct" talking members. :smiley-whacky119:

This site was started with one rule. No one asks a dumb question.

Mudderoy
03-01-2013, 02:28 AM
Probably should have specified earlier it is on a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

That information is in the drop down just below "Member" in your post. ;)

XJ Wheeler
03-01-2013, 06:16 PM
People are a lot nicer on here than they are on Pirate4X4.

I tell ya, in my personal opinion, that place needs to be shut down. Or put a warning on the front door at least. :rolleyes:

bcso290
03-01-2013, 07:01 PM
I agree. I posted the same question over there and got my head torn off for posting in a "high tech" forum. The bad thing is that there was a completely different thread that said "high tech only." Like it here a lot better.

XJ Wheeler
03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
I agree. I posted the same question over there and got my head torn off for posting in a "high tech" forum. The bad thing is that there was a completely different thread that said "high tech only." Like it here a lot better.

Here's my welcome to that dreadful place. Oh, and there's some language. Just a warning.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/1169610-help-save-cherokee-name-being-disgraced.html?highlight=help+jeep+name+cherokee

bcso290
03-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Jesus. Nice people over there huh?

XJ Wheeler
03-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Jesus. Nice people over there huh?

Yup. Who needs em anyway, we got this place.

4.3LXJ
03-02-2013, 09:20 AM
My opinion is a bunch of wanna bes hiding behind computer screens. That kind of stuff will get you hurt in person

bcso290
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Back to the topic at hand, I was able to safely get the NSS off today and it fired right up. Thanks for everyones input and support. Now onto valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and transmission gasket and filter.

cantab27
03-02-2013, 05:59 PM
good news man.................

cantab27
03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Here's my welcome to that dreadful place. Oh, and there's some language. Just a warning.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/1169610-help-save-cherokee-name-being-disgraced.html?highlight=help+jeep+name+cherokee

sorry didnt know it was you.........:mock:

;);)

ParadiseXJ
03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
my nss cannot be taken apart it is 3 prong but only 15 bucks new thank goodness but untill i got it fixed i did a redneckification got 2 pieces wire a toggle ad 2 aligator clips hooked them to starter and ran wire inside just turn key and flip of a switch and easy to unhook thats just my 2 cents

David,

What kinda tranksmishun u got you there.

A clutch interlock is NOT an NSS

If you have an AW4 NSS off a Jeep XJ, it can be taken apart (you'll need a screwdriver). Oh wait, unless you got the brand new $15 NSS. :out:

Redneckification I don't doubt. Do I hear banjos!!