PDA

View Full Version : Front tie rod adjusting sleeve???

Xj LoVeR Sk8wood
02-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Hello xjtalk!!! I have a 93 jeep cherokee country 4.0L straight six. I bought my jeep about six months ago and just changed all the tie rod ends recently and ran into a problem aligning it. The guy at the tire shop said the tie rod ends were adjusted all the way in and was leaving me toed out a full 1.5". I went back to the auto parts store and triple checked the all the numbers and they all matched, drag-link and all.???? Right! So I took a look at the one part I did not replace cause well it my adjusting sleeve, it was perfectly straight so i didnt think it was wrong. so I went to the junk yard and started measuring the adjusting sleeve on the xj at the yard and found out the earlier model probably 90 and earlier had an adjusting sleeve that measured 36.5 ish and I measured one on a 93 and it measured 34.5 ish. Slapped the one off the 93 at the yard onto mine. Now I was able to align. Hope this helps someone that runs into this problem, it had me thinking for awhile. I even thought of having it cut and rethreaded :bang:

NW99XJ
02-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Very interesting!
Thanks for the heads up....

cantab27
02-27-2013, 01:58 AM
good info thanks mate ...oh and welcome to site;)

XJ Wheeler
02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Awesome, i'm sure it'll help someone. Thanks!