PDA

View Full Version : Please NOOOO!

XJ Wheeler
02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Its official, the 2014 Cherokee is... HORRIBLE. And yes, it is planned to disgrace the Cherokee name.

http://jalopnik.com/2014-jeep-cherokee-this-is-it-335476306

4.3LXJ
02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I have to agree

XJScarlet
02-22-2013, 02:58 PM
That is hideous. They should be ashamed.

Pookapotamus
02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Agreed! absolutely horrible!

denverd1
02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Ok well, what do ya'll hate about it?

I think it will grow on ppl. I mean lets be honest, the "current" 84-01 XJ isn't exactly stylie... did expect the same box on wheels?

XJScarlet
02-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I happen to like the box on wheels. :p
This 2014 looks more like a Hyundai or Volvo.

denverd1
02-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I like mine too. But it has been over a DECADE since the last cherokee was made.

XJScarlet
02-22-2013, 03:06 PM
All I see is a new soccer mom suv. I just don't like it. The grill, the headlights, the body curves, I just find it unappealing.

denverd1
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
All I see is a new soccer mom suv. I just don't like it. The grill, the headlights, the body curves, I just find it unappealing.

same market the original cherokee we all love was designed for.

Mudderoy
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Let's not forget just how ugly the original Cherokees were. It was a face only a mother could love. Now they have character! I'm not saying this horrid thing is a Cherokee, but just a reminder of when you first saw a Cherokee ;)

4x4Dalton
02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Don't like it one bit. Looks like I could flip the thing by hand. IMO it's a mini van. Yes I understand its 2013 ( the future ooh ahh) but come on Jeep have some ya ya's and think of what made them so popular,and capable. Do car companies do that anymore? No they don't. Ok I've ranted enough I'll stop

XJScarlet
02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Hahaha! I am not going to say how old I was when I first saw the Cherokee. But I loved it. My grandpa had an old Willy's, and there were a bunch of Wranglers in the family. I guess I was just raised on 'em.

4x4Dalton
02-22-2013, 03:30 PM
I remember growin up round Jeeps and International Scouts. Pretty much where I lived you needed A- something 4WD B- something dependable. The way vehicles are made now they are expendible not made to last,so you have to spend $$$$ for a new 5-10 yrs down the road. How many XJ's ya see on the roads? At least 1-2 every 5 miles or so. Just like any other old vehicle they last. To me that means something. Yea call me ole fashioned but that's just me. Carry on :D

denverd1
02-22-2013, 03:40 PM
drove an old CJ7 around on the farm for years. prolly put 100,000 miles on it before I ever had a driver's license.

I love my cherokee so don't get me wrong on this guys. Jeep fell as backwards into making a capable off road platform with the original cherokee. If there was anyway to keep from putting a live axle under the front end, they would have. WE love cherokees b/c they're cheap, theres a bajillion of them around (parts, even replacements are readily available) and they're reliable. I certainly didn't expect the new version of the cherokee to be anything like the old...

XJ Wheeler
02-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Maybe we could petition jeep to change the name. They've been making car type vehicles for years, but new models and not meant to continue a previous model. No reason to start now. Just think of what people will say when you tell them you own a Cherokee now?

Carves
02-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I wouldnt worry about it being called a jeep ... or a cherokee ...

Once its in the mall carpark, mingled with all the other, ugly, jellybeans on wheels .... no one will notice it .... or know what it is. ;)

:D:D

Stupid to use the cherokee name on it I reckon ... but then - I thought naming the little XJ after the big monstrous FSJ was a bit of a sales pitch too .. ;)

X 2 with denverd1 comments ... but there was a side benefit of AMC using the cheapskate method of control arms/live axle instead of IFS to meet crash rules ... flex and clearance. ;)

and as to the XJ being ugly ... I look at mine parked in amongst the jellybeans ... and think that, despite its street hooker lipstick colour ... it still holds its own well ... against other, newer stuff out there ...

XJ Wheeler
02-22-2013, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt worry about it being called a jeep ... or a cherokee ...

Once its in the mall carpark, mingled with all the other, ugly, jellybeans on wheels .... no one will notice it .... or know what it is. ;)

:D:D

Stupid to use the cherokee name on it I reckon ... but then - I thought naming the little XJ after the big monstrous FSJ was a bit of a sales pitch too .. ;)

X 2 with denverd1 comments ... but there was a side benefit of AMC using the cheapskate method of control arms/live axle instead of IFS to meet crash rules ... flex and clearance. ;)

and as to the XJ being ugly ... I look at mine parked in amongst the jellybeans ... and think that, despite its street hooker lipstick colour ... it still holds its own well ... against other, newer stuff out there ...

Just think...

"Hi, i need to get a master cylinder for my Cherokee."

"Ewww, you have one of those?"

:D

Mudderoy
02-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Maybe we could petition jeep to change the name. They've been making car type vehicles for years, but new models and not meant to continue a previous model. No reason to start now. Just think of what people will say when you tell them you own a Cherokee now?

That suggestion reminds me of the movie "The Jerk" I think it should be renamed to "shithead" :rolleye0012:

XJ Wheeler
02-22-2013, 11:10 PM
That suggestion reminds me of the movie "The Jerk" I think it should be renamed to "shithead" :rolleye0012:

Well, i'm running with it. The Cherokee XJ is probably my favorite vehicle. I mean, everyone loves cool cars, big trucks, fast, cool, loud but the XJ was well thought out (mostly) and is an influential vehicle. I don't want this to be associated with it. So, i started a Facebook page. I know, probably better uses of my time but its a cause that speaks to me. I'll start a thread so its easier to find but here it is. http://m.facebook.com/pages/Petition-for-Jeep-to-change-the-name-of-the-2014-Cherokee/431327430280833?id=431327430280833&_rdr

Now, everyone please "like", "comment", and "share". :)

bigjim350
02-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Id drive it

XJ Wheeler
02-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Id drive it

Of course the ricer driver would. :D

bigjim350
02-23-2013, 12:47 AM
good comeback...course keep in mind, i have more wheeling pics than the other tx jeepers......just sayin'..........:D

XJ Wheeler
02-23-2013, 01:27 AM
good comeback...course keep in mind, i have more wheeling pics than the other tx jeepers......just sayin'..........:D

Hey... I've got plenty... on grass. :rolleyes:

XJMJeep
02-23-2013, 01:30 AM
as to the XJ being ugly ... I look at mine parked in amongst the jellybeans ... and think that, despite its street hooker lipstick colour ... it still holds its own well ... against other, newer stuff out there ...

Best quote ever! :smiley-laughing021:

98FloridaXJ
02-23-2013, 09:37 AM
In the styling department from the angle they've shown I don't like the lines. I'll admit that I liked what they did with the Grand Cherokees lately but with the exception of the Jks they don't really have capable off road vehicles in their line up. I know most people don't take their vehicles off road anymore but wife knows that I refuse to spend money on a brand new or newer Jeep unless its a Wrangler.

EekGirl96
02-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Its a disgrace to the Jeep name, especially the Cherokee....I wasnt really fond of any of the new Jeeps(Wranglers, etc) but this is just ridiculous!

They need to remake an old Cherokee and make it look like an old Cherokee but have it come out locked, Danas front and rear and a lift...stock...then maybe Id buy a new one

4.3LXJ
02-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Its a disgrace to the Jeep name, especially the Cherokee....I wasnt really fond of any of the new Jeeps(Wranglers, etc) but this is just ridiculous!

They need to remake an old Cherokee and make it look like an old Cherokee but have it come out locked, Danas front and rear and a lift...stock...then maybe Id buy a new one

A Cherokee "Rubicon"?

EekGirl96
02-23-2013, 10:40 AM
No, nothing fancy...just bring back an "original" looking Cherokee

4.3LXJ
02-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Actually I think they would have trouble marketing it unless there was a rubicon version available. The box is probably gone now, especially since Obummer has pushed an unrealistic 50 mpg cafe standard in the not too distant future. But I could go for an updated body in a sport ute that had factory capability