PDA

View Full Version : My first jeep like to do sum mods where do i start

aus2xj
02-20-2013, 10:30 AM
It has sum mods when i got it like bbk 62mm TB and spacer 2.5 lift ARB bull bar dule bateres id like to do more just dont know where to strat 1417

4.3LXJ
02-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Jason, Carves tells me you guys have heavy government regs there. What can you get away with and what is your ultimate purpose for it?

aus2xj
02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
government regs not to bad all most same as the u.s. Just small thing but there is all ways ways to get arond them id like to lift it 5+ in put 33 on it wich well take an engineer certificate and beff up the drive line for now.But dont know where to start and it my weekend toy.

denverd1
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
tires first if it were mine. It's trail ready if you get some decent treads on there. Stay with 31's for now unless you want to cut your fenders. I cut mine and love the look but it may not be for everyone

4.3LXJ
02-20-2013, 11:14 AM
It is easy to add height. You can do it cheap with coil spacers and shackle for the leaf spring. But you will have to change shocks. I am guessing you have Old Man Emu suspension which only goes to 2.5" of lift. Getting shocks is not a problem, but won't ride as well as the OMEs. You might want to consider a rear locker or even a front. I don't think you will have a problem with axle beef in OZ. You don't have the type of terrain we do. Aussie Lockers are cheap and work well. Cheap here in the U.S. Might want a serious bar for the roos there also, but the Bull Bar makes it tough to get to your winch.

thesupercroc
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Before dual batt (on my list of things to do) look in to alt upgrade and wiring upgrade I went from the stock wiring to 2 gauge wiring and am waiting for warmer weather to do the alt upgrade.

Head light harness and h4 will do wonders for being able to see at night.

blinker fluid and muffler bearings should be checked as well. :rolleye0012::rolleyes:

aus2xj
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
alt upgrade not needed dun by last owner + it has solar as well when looking at lift is there brand/kit i shod look for i have a slip yoke eliminator kit that i got with it and looking at geting a ARB air locker for the front and its got a ARB bull bar on it with winch mount

4.3LXJ
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
ARBs are great and I have a couple for another axle set I have. But they can be death on a D35 because they act like a spool when engaged. But, say if you found a late 97 and up 8.25 rear then the ARB is the way to go.

Lifts, rough country is cheapest, rubicon express better and stuff like Clayton's better yet. You kind of get what you pay for. Differences are in thickness of materials and quality of bushings and inserts

aus2xj
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I can get a 98 diff from a grand are thay the same or dus need to be out of an xj thanks

4.3LXJ
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Two things. 98 grand has both the D35 and 8.25 available. You will need to cut the brackets off and weld spring perches on. Beyond that, the same. Make sure the gear ratio is the same. There will be a tag on it. I have a thread in the how to section on reading the dana tags

aus2xj
02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
thanks man ill look it up can i just swap the diff center and pinion my bruther works in a diff break and clutch shop all he dus is rebuild diffs.

Metlic53
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
the first thing i do when aquiring a new car is give it a tune up, oil, oil filter, grease all the steering/u-joints, new rotor/cap spark plugs, wires, flush radiator, check all other fluids. Then i'd go to the lift/tires package. put some exhaust if you like it loud, i have flowmaster super 44's on mine with a APN header and a 63 mm throttle body and dodge neon fuel injectors.
just some thoughts

Carves
02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
aaahhhhh .... Toronto .... Newcastle ?? .... :D

Lift rules are way different, as are most things ... a sympathetic vehicle engineeer prepared to upset the beaurocratic establishment ... is the only "legal" way.

Mr Plod may still pull you over if he doesnt like what he sees ... and having an engineers certificate just means he will get embarrassed and look for missing mudflaps or something ... as an excuse for bailing you up on the side of the road. ;)

If you havent had it long/are unfamiliar with it ... run it as is for a bit ... You will be surprised as to its capabilities ... then mod it as nescessary to meet terrain requirements.

If you have no idea about the cooling system age or condition ... be prepared to renew it ... and fit a proper oil cooler setup for the auto gearbox. ;)

If you're looking for a direct swap 8.25 diff down here ... 9/97 to about 2/98 "sport" models are the only XJ ones. Not fitted with LSD tho.

Complete ones in 4.10 ratios available from http://www.wooders.com.au/ ... pricy but not that bad - compared to buying a bunch of bits to slap in the original housing ;) ... I might have a spare stock one from mine available in a month or so ..

............... Head light harness and h4 will do wonders for being able to see at night.

blinker fluid and muffler bearings should be checked as well. :rolleye0012::rolleyes:

Headlight harness is probably the best bang for buck mod - on an XJ.
H4 have been a requirement down here since the 70's ... Hellas on aussie pre-updates ... and Cibie on on post-97 .. :D

blinker fluid and muffler bearings are must do's ... :D

aus2xj
02-21-2013, 05:19 AM
I put a new twin cor brass rad in it and water pump welsh plugs and hoses with in a week of getting it. Theres a few xj drivers that live near me and one pulled over when i was doing oil chang and so on and all he told me was do your cooling system and im glad i did old rad had what looked like mud in it and alot at that.