PDA

View Full Version : Brake system upgrades?

XJMikey
02-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Sorry if these are repost. I couldn't find the info I want looking for.

I'm going to be doing a complete fluid drain and front/rear brake overhaul to hopefully restore power to my brakes.

Anyways...

I'm looking into doing a black magic pads/calipers/rotors up front and crown automotive rear disc conversion on my C8.25".

My questions are:

Is there any cons to either of those setups? I don't want to spend money on a setup that I will regret buying later on.

Has anyone ran that combined setup with 33x12.5 or bigger tires? I don't to have to downshift my aw-4 to slow down... like I have had to in the past.

Thanks for any info.
- Mike

Brasscatz
02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure on the conversion and stuff, but it sounds like your master cylinder or brake booster may not be working properly if you are having to downshift to assist with braking. The rear disc conversion is worth doing probably just to have it, but checking on your booster and master cylinder is probably a much cheaper culprit.

bluedragon436
02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to say unless your pads/rotors are majorly shot you might have some other issues in your brake system as mentioned above... Cause the majority of your braking comes from the front brakes... and I know I drove mine like five miles with 33's and one of the front calipers jacked up and not even on the rotor, and had no issues stopping... and def. not enough to need to downshift the trans...

XJMikey
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure on the conversion and stuff, but it sounds like your master cylinder or brake booster may not be working properly if you are having to downshift to assist with braking. The rear disc conversion is worth doing probably just to have it, but checking on your booster and master cylinder is probably a much cheaper culprit.

Yeah I'm going to have to say unless your pads/rotors are majorly shot you might have some other issues in your brake system as mentioned above... Cause the majority of your braking comes from the front brakes... and I know I drove mine like five miles with 33's and one of the front calipers jacked up and not even on the rotor, and had no issues stopping... and def. not enough to need to downshift the trans...

I've had both of them checked out and they're fine. It's my milky brake fluid and worn out pads/shoes that are killing my braking power.

I figure if I'm going to be working on my brakes, might as well upgrade to better parts well I'm at it.

XJ Wheeler
02-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Totally agree, my rear brakes are really low on material. So, i plan on converting to discs.

nickxj94
02-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Best mod I done on my xj was the zj rear disc swap stops alot better on 33s, I also found I had a bad master cly after the swap so I wouldn't rule it out.

XJMikey
02-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Totally agree, my rear brakes are really low on material. So, i plan on converting to discs.

Best mod I done on my xj was the zj rear disc swap stops alot better on 33s, I also found I had a bad master cly after the swap so I wouldn't rule it out.

It's not a cheap conversion, but I love the 8.25 and don't see myself doing enough offroading to ever need D44 or F8.8" strength.

The local brake shop showe me what bad fluid can do to every piece of the brake system, so it's possible my entire system needs work.

nickxj94
02-23-2013, 08:56 PM
I have the 8.25 27 spline it hasn't let me down yet! And I put the d35 Zj rear disc on it have to cut a 1/8 inch out the center hole to fit the axle housing but its bolt on and I got everything for less than $100.00 at my local pick and pull,

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2

XJMikey
02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
I have the 8.25 27 spline it hasn't let me down yet! And I put the d35 Zj rear disc on it have to cut a 1/8 inch out the center hole to fit the axle housing but its bolt on and I got everything for less than $100.00 at my local pick and pull,

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2

I've looked into doing the ZJ disc converson, but finding good condistion parts is hard in rust prown NY state. Lol