PDA

View Full Version : Jumping out of 4Hi/no 4Hi

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Posting this while I have a minute at work. Weather this weekend killed any XJ wrenching, but I figured my XJ would make a good "lawn roller" for the ruts a trailer full of red clay left across my yard, with the AT tires. Cranked fine, drive fine in 2wd, ground was very soft, figured I would use 4hi to make it easier. Made sure it was engaged solid, pulled over a little rise in the yard and it jumped out of 4hi into limbo neutral, could only get 4 lo and 2wd to work. Finished the lawn rolling, got it out on my gravel road to the barn, and then it shifted fine. What to check? Cable linkage and tranny mount?

This XJ received a 231 while with pervious owner, no issues until yesterday, then it would not misbehave again

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Meant to include original transfer case was a 242 according to the bezel

NW99XJ
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Transfercase shift linkage....its adjustable. (easy to do)
I went thru this a bunch in the beginning...
Lemme try and find a pic so I can illustrate something....

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Transfercase shift linkage....its adjustable. (easy to do)
I went thru this a bunch in the beginning...
Lemme try and find a pic so I can illustrate something....

That was what I was hoping it was, are bushings or anything I should go ahead and order?

NW99XJ
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
DESTRUCTIONS:

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position)
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig.
87).
(4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.
Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.
(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case)
(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.
(7) Lower vehicle

Basically, you are just ensuring that the position you put the lever inside the vehicle is the same position that the t-case lever is in and then tightening the locking bolt.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com/images/Jeep/TCShifter.jpg

Of course if you have a few hundred extra bux laying around you could always get one of THESE (http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/kit_sk2x.htm)

http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/pics/linkages/sk2x_v2_assembled_view.jpg

4.3LXJ
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Do you have a tcase drop? How is the motor mounts and transmission mount?

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the destructions, I'll see how bad I can mess things up.

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Do you have a tcase drop? How is the motor mounts and transmission mount?

No drop, motor mounts look to be good condition recent chain store units (old mounts in chain store boxes were in XJ when I bought it) tranny mount seems solid enough... I am trying to plan for a t-case skid in the near future and was looking at the Rustys crossmember as a OEM upgrade

4.3LXJ
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
I was having a thought that the engine might have torqued over combined with a slight adjustment problem might cause it. But I think an adjustment would do it since it doesn't pop out of 4WD in low range. Does the handle move when this happens or does the front wheels just fail to go? Front axle disconnect?

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 05:42 PM
I was having a thought that the engine might have torqued over combined with a slight adjustment problem might cause it. But I think an adjustment would do it since it doesn't pop out of 4WD in low range. Does the handle move when this happens or does the front wheels just fail to go? Front axle disconnect?

No front axle disconnect, handle did move, but did not see it and could not recreate in exact conditions, behaved fine on gravel road. Not had any trouble with 4lo in some pretty serious steep terrain.

This was in a rain-soaked yard that the sheer weight of a full trailer of dirt had created 4-6" ruts in the turf, and I was planning to use the XJ with the 12.50 AT tires as a $$ lawn roller... I put it in 4hi to avoid wheel spin in what was left of my grass, and it jumped out of engagement...it could not get it to re engage through shifting or moving the XJ a few inches in 2wd or 4lo.

Will try the linkage, what does a stretched chain do?

Rayburne
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Novac linkage is expensive.

4.3LXJ
02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Stretched chain will rattle and bang for starters

If you saw the handle move, then I would suggest the engine is rolling over and the little notch on the handle linkage is kicking it out of gear. You might want to raise the hood and watch it under load. It might be moving more than you think

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Novac linkage is expensive.

I was planning on trying to adjust the factory linkage and seeing if that gets it. But I have to install an SYE, so I'll be into the transfer case sooner or later...hopfully later...

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM

If you saw the handle move, then I would suggest the engine is rolling over and the little notch on the handle linkage is kicking it out of gear. You might want to raise the hood and watch it under load. It might be moving more than you think

Ooooo, an excuse for more of Andy's stuff!!!!

Wait, stop, slow down, breathe....must make good decisions

Dredwolf
02-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Which might explain why the mounts were changed at least once already...is the OEM mount design bad to start with?

4.3LXJ
02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Which might explain why the mounts were changed at least once already...is the OEM mount design bad to start with?

Not really, but like any others not so good at 100K

nickxj94
02-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Mine jumps out of 4lo every now and again I hope my chain ain't getting worn out

Dredwolf
03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Raining today, so not much wrenching going on...

But I did find this possible option to clean up the linkage...

http://froehlichsuspension.3dcartstores.com/SIMPLE-231-Shift-Linkage-Replacement_p_24.html

Looks really clean and simple....