PDA

View Full Version : Mystery clunk

nickyg
02-18-2013, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgEdbMEYi0&feature=youtu.be

For that past few years. My xj has been making a “clunk” sound whenever u turn the wheel .

The jeep handles great has no play in the steering. I took it to a 4x4 shop. He couldn’t tell for sure where it was coming from but suggested since it had 200k it wouldn’t hurt to just replace everything.

Sometimes after work we have a beer in the parking lot and play “guess that sound” so far no one can say for sure what it is. Although the general thought is the steering box.
So my question is.. anyone have the same experience? What is it?

I’m gonna try to post a video, but bear with me I have the computer skills of a 90 year old coma patient.

The things I replaced so far.
U joints
Added a 1 inch spring spacer
Track bar oem/ with moog axle bushing, larger bolt
Steering stabilizer
Sway bar bushings. Energy suspension
TRE at the pitman arm
Ball joints

4.3LXJ
02-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Nick, have you considered the ball joints. I had one of those noises and replaced one side and cured it.

Brasscatz
02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I was going ball joints as well.

nickyg
02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Yea I thought it was the ball joints too, but I just replaced em last week. I shot the video right before I did the drivers side.

XJ Wheeler
02-19-2013, 01:03 AM
I'd say, check the steering box bolts and also look at the frame around the box for cracks.

nickyg
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the tip, I picked up a HD steering box spacer. I've been putting off installing it. I guess I'll just have to roll my sleeves up and do it.

I have been debating replacing the gear box while I'm at it. I'm pretty sure it's factory installed.

If the fame is cracked (something I never thought of) What is the recomended repair? Just weld a big honking plate over it?
Thanks again for the help

4.3LXJ
02-19-2013, 02:59 PM
YOu can weld it, but the plate idea is a good one

Brasscatz
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
You can also do the Durango steering box upgrade to get a beefier gear box

XJ Wheeler
02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
I suggest welding the crack then burning in a plate over it. But, i tend to overkill.

nickxj94
02-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Check the bolts on the frame mount for the trackbar you might take it off and check the frame there also I had the same exact noise it was that mount I picked up a used one from a parts jeep my buddy had and Torqued the bolts to about 120lbs and haven't had a problem since.

nickyg
02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Mystery Clunk solved.
I had some free time today. So I hid the grocery list, grabbed the tool bag and jumped on it.
I replaced the track bar last year. but never checked the frame mount.
(Thanks nickxj94 for the tip)
I took the track bar and frame mount off. Cleaned and inspected everything. Put it all back together.
I couldn't get my torqe wrench in there. So I dogged evreything down three grunts tight. (note to self, must buy torqe wrench made after 1948)
No more clunk..

Now I need andother excuse to replace the steeering box.
Thanks for all the help folks.

nickxj94
02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Mystery Clunk solved.
I had some free time today. So I hid the grocery list, grabbed the tool bag and jumped on it.
I replaced the track bar last year. but never checked the frame mount.
(Thanks nickxj94 for the tip)
I took the track bar and frame mount off. Cleaned and inspected everything. Put it all back together.
I couldn't get my torqe wrench in there. So I dogged evreything down three grunts tight. (note to self, must buy torqe wrench made after 1948)
No more clunk..

Now I need andother excuse to replace the steeering box.
Thanks for all the help folks.

Glad that fixed it!

oderdene
02-22-2013, 07:37 AM
congrats bro, you won "guess that sound" game :D