PDA

View Full Version : Jeep starting and running issues

NAILS12
02-18-2013, 02:24 AM
1998 Cherokee w/ 4.7 stroker & automatic Trans..

Stock fuel system up to the aftermarket 24# injectors
Stock ignition system (excluding msd wires)

Issue:

Will not start on first attempt of cranking.
smells like fuel when I hold the gas down and crank.
Will start the second attempt.. and I need to hold the gas to keep it running for a few minutes.
after holding the gas for a few minutes, it will run on its own, however it is a rough idle ( more than what the comp cam & solid mounts will give )
A cylinder 6 misfire code was on, and I changed the spark plug which was old and fouled. I also cleaned the throttle body.. then let it run for a while, which was smooth idle.
I started to drive and found that at a stop ( getting to a red light, stop sign ) and then accelerating back up, that the jeep would hesitate, buck and sometimes stall.. as if it was starving for fuel or something.
Some days it is worse than others.. It doesnt happen more so at 1st morning start and go or between any span of time not being used.
When driving at normal operating speeds on a parkway, it runs smoothly - but its not at the power range it should be. And when I brake from high speed driving, the idle becomes erratic. When i put it into park, the idle sometimes will surge to almost 2k.
Also - may or may not be related, but i noticed my airbag light will flicker on and off and my speedo, tach, and oil gauge will drop and periodically while driving become inop. this leads me to believe i could be dealing with a computer issue? Then again.. maybe completely different issue?

As stated before.. only course of action taken was replacing a spark plug in cyl 6 and cleaning out the throttle body.

I have heard that crank sensors often go bad.. and I am drawn to believe that even though i smell fuel when i hold the pedal to the wood at start up, maybe the regulator is not working properly or the pump is not pulling enough fuel? I doubt that would prompt a misfire cyl 6 code though. also since the "bogging" and "bucking " happens when coming to a stop and re accelerating, and my speedo/tach would fail at times, maybe it was transmission related? but I dont think that a transmission isue would contribute to a rough idle / hard to start condition.

If anyone has an idea or direction to go with this, please advise or share... I dont want to be replacing parts left and right guessing what could or should be wrong.

Thanks, Corey

cantab27
02-18-2013, 10:47 AM
tps ..........if shes shifty all over the place and stalling out ,,,,,,,

4.3LXJ
02-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Did it ever run right with that cam and injectors?

NAILS12
02-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Did it ever run right with that cam and injectors?

Yes it ran smooth for a good while, this just recently started happening.

NAILS12
02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
tps ..........if shes shifty all over the place and stalling out ,,,,,,,

Shouldnt I have seen a TPS code, not a Cylinder 6 misfire?

4.3LXJ
02-18-2013, 06:29 PM
How long since the )2 sensor has been replaced?