PDA

View Full Version : Rear Spare Tire Carrier - pros & cons?

saar
02-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing such a carrier, what do you think?

http://youtu.be/3fj1ffIHWTk

Thanks,
Saar.

Joliet Johnny
02-16-2013, 08:07 AM
I will start off by saying that is very cool. I would love to see the write up for this.

Pro: looks cool, looks like window is protected from tire including putting it on, would rather remove spare tire from there than top of XJ, doesnt look like it would cost as much as other options.

Con: dont know about this on an XJ with a fiberglass gate, complete loss or rear window visibility, how is the license plate lit could cost a ticket.

saar
02-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi,

Thank you for the fast reply.
I'm thinking of removing the license plate to the side.
My door is not fiberglass (2001 xj)
Thanks,
Saar

gary63
02-16-2013, 08:43 AM
I like the iedle but I would think the wieght of the tire moving and bowncing around would flix the wind frame so sooner or later the window will pop and brake. You would have to replace the glass with pliseglass or better lexan .

Joliet Johnny
02-16-2013, 09:09 AM
I like the iedle but I would think the wieght of the tire moving and bowncing around would flix the wind frame so sooner or later the window will pop and brake. You would have to replace the glass with pliseglass or better lexan .

Or because the rear window would now be useless maybe remove the window and cover the hole in sheetmetal. Then you could mount useful things like flashlights, fire extinguisher, 1st aid kit and a tire iron there? With strategic mounting of a back up camera rear visibility would be restored.

4.3LXJ
02-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Mark at Detours was working on something like this. You might contact him. I know he had at least one fabbed up.

XJ Wheeler
02-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Interesting idea, but i just don't think the lift gate would hold up to it. The hinged would probably hate it, as well as the surrounding sheet metal by them. Plus any impact to that tire, and your lift gate is gonna feel the bring of it.

But if you do go ahead with the project, brace heavily inside the lift gate where it mounts.

Carves
02-16-2013, 03:52 PM
IMHO ... its the best spot for a wheel mount ... but not using an XJ tailgate.

I think - how successful it will be ... will be very dependant on - how and where the vehicle is used.

Crawlin without too much flexing - would probably be an OK working environment ......... and smooth, no bumpity, bumpity, highways .. ;)

Going by past experience with bolt-ons on vehicles .... and many hours of this ...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Trip%20Pics/16022013/1602201320b_zps17bc6e7d.jpg

..... If it was on the back of mine ... I would give it, 3 to 6mnths, before it all fell off and took the tailgate with it.

btw .... have a look at the TJ wrangler wheel mount too. Its what I was going to use until I decided the tailgate hinges and mounts werent up to the job ... but in the end ... I think you'll find - the annoying swingaway type, is probably the most practical.

saar
02-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Thank you guys.
I thought about it + your cons and decided that for now, the spare tire would stay on the roof...
Thanks,
Saar.

Cheromaniac
02-18-2013, 06:17 AM
My Jeep came with a swing away spare wheel carrier from the factory:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/images/jeep1.jpg