PDA

View Full Version : No start cps wiring issue?? Help!!

notnats350
02-14-2013, 07:50 AM
ok so here is the deal.
My 97 xj cranks but no start. Fuses ok, fuel pump kicks on, no CEL at the start of things. I have replaced the CPS and CAM within the last 6 months. I read that the wiring to the CPS and CAM can go bad and seeing how i have over 225k on my truck i decided to start there.
I pulled the sensor off and was testing the wiring. gry/blk from sensor to ecu has 5V, so does Org wire. the Br/Yellow wire is the ground to the system has like 8 M ohms from ECU A4 to CPS so i figured it has corrosion. Tracked down some corroded wires where they ground to the block by the CAM sensor so i replaced them, i thought all was good until I tried to start and she still didnt fire.
i remeasured the OHMs from ECU A4 to the CPS again and still have 86.4 OHMS. I also read that it may be a faulty connection at the ecu so i took the connector apart to see the back of it and realized that there was a BLUE/YELLOW wire coming from A4 and not a BR/YELLOW???? I took apart some of the harness to see maybe if they spliced in somewhere but i have no clue what the heck is going on now????
I know for sure that BR/YL is the ground wire bc all of the sensors around it have the same wire and read 0.0 ohms when i hook the multimeter up btw them.
Anyone have any advice on what the heck is going on??
Where should I go from here??

notnats350
02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
shoot!!! I figured it out!! when i was testing the CPS i took the wires out of the connector and ended up mixing two of them up!! HAHA!! (shit that makes you go insane!!) I will post picture of what i did find and fix to help you guys out.
MY PROBLEM:
intermittent no start, ended up being coroded ground wires that are on the block right by the CAM sensor there was 3 wires. I took pics of it and will post them soon

4.3LXJ
02-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Good thing you figured it out. I was just about to dig out my wiring diagrams

junglejuice
03-01-2013, 12:35 AM
The drama can be with the OEM documentation is that both the cam and crank sensors are both given the same acronym, CPS....

JJ

Carves
03-01-2013, 03:20 PM
The drama can be with the OEM documentation is that both the cam and crank sensors are both given the same acronym, CPS....

JJ

Gets worse when the CamPS gets listed as a "switchplate" or whatever .. :D

You have a JCR instead of a CamPS nowadays don't you ?? .. ;);)

junglejuice
03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
You have a JCR instead of a CamPS nowadays don't you ?? .. ;);)

The Jaycar unit is sitting on my shelf, it was used for a few months and worked well, for some strange reason I have a few spares.... ;)