PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Leak Solved.

dagod16
02-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Remember the leak I had coming out of the frame rail. We all thought it might be ectoplasm. I had the brakes checked anything else in that area checked.
Well I had the ring and pinion replaced FYI it was $954 plus the seal and new fluid. Anyway....... The pumpkin head case for the rear end has a vent tube that extended over to the frame rail area and in the event that too much 90 W gear oil(or whatever the type they used) fluid was added to the rear end and this allows for some overflow to occur. Otherwise the pressure would build inside the rear end.

While I was leaking fluid, it was only leaking out the extra overflow amount.

I need your thoughts.

Thanks
Rob

4.3LXJ
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Funny color for 90W. That stuff usually has a distinctive smell, which no one likes. Not even my wife who will sniff diesel fumes. (Reminds her of her father) Probably the first thing to do is check the fluid level in the rear diff and confirm what they put in it

XJ Wheeler
02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah, you can smell that stuff from afar and it stays with ya too. Hard to get off. I'm with you Steve, weird color for that. Surprised i didn't think of it but yeah, the vent tube does go up to the frame and with the downward bend toward the front it does seem possible.

oderdene
02-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Would be gear oil and water mix, anyway pull the diff plug and check diff fluid

dagod16
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Well it wasn't really green. After the clear fluid touched the frame rail all the dirty and green coloring rubs off and it looks dirty. I had the fluid level checked before they re fillied it and it was just fine. They said that maybe when the work was done they just put a bit too much into it and for some reason came out. But the correct fluid was in it and it was full. Yes it smells bad.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Thanks

Rob

XJ Wheeler
02-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Well it wasn't really green. After the clear fluid touched the frame rail all the dirty and green coloring rubs off and it looks dirty. I had the fluid level checked before they re fillied it and it was just fine. They said that maybe when the work was done they just put a bit too much into it and for some reason came out. But the correct fluid was in it and it was full. Yes it smells bad.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Thanks

Rob

Check the current level, just to be sure. And just in case when you have driven it for a while hop out and feel if the diff is getting hot. It could be hot and the fluid expanding. Just an idea.

dagod16
02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
I was wondering about that as well. Isn't fluid expanding the same as fluid foaming up and out. Isn't that going to happen with all rear ends, don't they get hot? or warm from use. Im taking a 3 hour trip to Lake Geneva this weekend so I am concerned a bit. No grinding noise or anything.

Out of all of my problems with the jeep. 50% of my time in the shop is this rear end. All the other problems I have the issues get fixed and done but not the rear end. Jesus already!!!

4.3LXJ
02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Diffs get very hot, hotter than an engine. But the oil shouldn't foam

dagod16
02-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Then what am I feeling for when I touch the pumpkin head.

and it is normal for a little bit of fluid to escape this way and it will stop without draining all the fluid.

Correct ?

Rob

4.3LXJ
02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Yes, it will stop eventually. If you touch it after driving it is going to be real hot. Might burn you a little

XJ Wheeler
02-13-2013, 10:31 PM
In other words, don't touch it. I was mistaken.

dagod16
02-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Ok I won't touch it. I do have cardboard under the leak and it seems to have slowed now that the little rubber refill seal has been opened and then put back in place. Maybe a suction had formed and was forcing it out. Hmmmm

I will keep everyone posted.

dagod16
02-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Does anyone know how long it will take for this fluid drainage to stop, while keeping enough in my pumpkin head rear end.