PDA

View Full Version : I want to take my rear brakes completely off

Metlic53
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
what do i need to do in order to take the rear drum brakes off my 90 XJ and leave them off. It is a MUD ONLY JEEP and gets trailered to all the trails, i hate getting down deep in the mud and hearing this grinding of grit coming from the rear brakes. The pads are completely gone and i dont need the emergency brake. What can i do to remove it, leave the drum on or off and have it where the line wont spray brake fluid when i pump the brakes? Is this possible?
Could i take the line completely off and weld that one hole on the master cylinder or, put something on the end of the brake line at the rear axle?
Thanks for the responses

bigjim350
02-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Leave the drum on. Just take out all the brakes and hardware. Remove ebrake cables and rear brake lines. Then just use a brass plug to plug the rear brake line port on the master cylinder.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

XJ Wheeler
02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
^X2 First I've heard of this on a XJ.

Metlic53
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Leave the drum on. Just take out all the brakes and hardware. Remove ebrake cables and rear brake lines. Then just use a brass plug to plug the rear brake line port on the master cylinder.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Thanks Jim

^X2 First I've heard of this on a XJ.

A first for me too, both my dad and myself have got tired of taking the tires off and cleaning out the drums due to mud/sand, i hate that gritty sound, makes all my buddies say "Something else went Wrong!" plus its loud and annoying

XJ Wheeler
02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
A first for me too, both my dad and myself have got tired of taking the tires off and cleaning out the drums due to mud/sand, i hate that gritty sound, makes all my buddies say "Something else went Wrong!" plus its loud and annoying

Oh i get the reason, and it makes sense for your application. Just an odd topic. ;)

Metlic53
02-12-2013, 02:32 AM
I got flamed over on cherokee forum, they said I was the reason parks are gettig shut down...hmmm they said ill be the reason parks will have inspections. Lol is there a Dana 35 disc brake swap? For an old 90

4.3LXJ
02-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Don't pay much attention to them over there. They flamed me too. Interesting thing was that the ones doing the flaming rarely ever went wheeling. But yes, the disc brake set up from a grand cherokee with D35 will work on the D44 XJ axle. There is a small modification I think to the backing plate, but it is minor and will give you better stopping power and I think be much better in the long run.

xj4life2
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
What he said ^^^^ or as Jim said plug the master witha brass plug and remove everything south of it , I would strip the drums completely off and the backing plates also that way you would have nothing left to clean. But disc brakes would allow better stopping performance in non mud situations and all you have to do to clean them is back up and hit the binders.
PS The other guys (C.F.) have serious issues. Its easy to web wheel ,the real deal ....not so much.

Metlic53
02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
ok i'll try and source some parts, if i do it i'll do it to all my jeeps, first being my daily driver XJ then the other two mudders.
Could i buy brand new backing plates, calipers, rotors and lines from oreilly advanced or autozone? That may be a better route if its not too cheap, i like new stuff or lifetime remanufactured (just replace alot)

4.3LXJ
02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
The best place to start is the wrecking yard and go from there. There are kits sold, but kind of pricey I think

msmoorenburg
02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
ok i'll try and source some parts, if i do it i'll do it to all my jeeps, first being my daily driver XJ then the other two mudders.
Could i buy brand new backing plates, calipers, rotors and lines from oreilly advanced or autozone? That may be a better route if its not too cheap, i like new stuff or lifetime remanufactured (just replace alot)

Its a easy upgrade, I'll bring my over during the day if you want to see it

Brasscatz
02-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I got flamed over on cherokee forum, they said I was the reason parks are gettig shut down...hmmm they said ill be the reason parks will have inspections. Lol is there a Dana 35 disc brake swap? For an old 90

Wow dude... I just read your thread over on CF.... THAT'S why I don't go over there anymore. I know it's hard not to gripe back at them too... I gave in one time myself. Just stay over here and we'll get it all sorted out for ya ;) :thumbsup:

Rayburne
02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
If you need to disable brakes the back only give you little breaking effort and the front give you the most braking. I don't know an XJ's percentage but the back probably is 10 to 15% of the braking. Still I wouldn't ever operate any vehicle without fully operational brakes. Disc's are the best choice for mudding.

Metlic53
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
some guy over there said he got kicked off of here. and he said i was trashing CF. geez i wasn't i just said i got flamed and the thread got closed. all i did was ask a question, man people get offended so easy. Ive found some parts for the rear discs so im gonna have it on before march for muddy gras

Mudderoy
02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
lol no one was banned, kicked off, or asked to leave. An offending post was deleted, and the author was notified.

4.3LXJ
02-13-2013, 01:12 PM
It takes a lot to get banned here. There was an offending post but the author took it badly that the post was deleted. He was contacted and could have reposted, but choose to leave. His choice.

msmoorenburg
02-13-2013, 01:19 PM
so i've heard from a (JK Owner) 1/2 ebrake works like a locker in the mud :rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
02-13-2013, 01:22 PM
so i've heard from a (JK Owner) 1/2 ebrake works like a locker in the mud :rolleye0012:

Really old school :P

Metlic53
02-13-2013, 01:23 PM

i'd rather weld it up :D
hey do you know if the dana 35 on the grands have the same axle shafts as my 90 with 3.73? i can pick up the shafts and all disc components if i want to.
also, if i weld the 35, will i be able to take those axle shafts out if need be?

4.3LXJ
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes to both. But you don't weld with the shafts in and don't get near the splines when you do. It is best to pull the carrier anyway to do this. I recommend super missile welding rod. Not cheap, but welds high carbon and alloy steel well

XJ Wheeler
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Wow, i just checked out your thread on CF. No wonder they keep loosing members. Even bashing xjtalk on there. That link should be put up as a sticky of how people shouldn't be treated on forums. :crazy:

Mudderoy
02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Wow, i just checked out your thread on CF. No wonder they keep loosing members. Even bashing xjtalk on there. That link should be put up as a sticky of how people shouldn't be treated on forums. :crazy:

Even bad advertisement is advertisement. ;)

Azzy
03-14-2013, 09:11 AM
If you are going to do the swap and are in the muck a lot, put a stiffer spring in for the ebrake levers on the disk unit. Unless you plan on taking them out entriely.

I have a rear disc conversion and the ebrake likes to get stuck on... frying the pads and overheating the wheel.

1 place rear brakes help... when you are backing up. ;) Dont want to be getting out of a mud pit only to roll back in instead of stopping, right?

4x4Dalton
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Lol. I just read the thread of there. Wow I have never seen a group of people contradict themselves so many times. A few did have helpful tips but hell even they got ragged on. Geesh no wonder no one is staying there. You can only stay on a sinking ship for so long.

grainofsalt
03-15-2013, 10:32 AM
I run KJ brakes out back and they are one of my favorite mods, If you are having trouble finding a set of ZJ brakes I have a set for sale: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/zj-disc-brake-backing-plates-calipers-1493777/