PDA

View Full Version : Re painting the XJ?

thesupercroc
02-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Greetings XJ talk!

So down the road abit I thinking i mine want to repaint my XJ.
I was thinking that the rattle cam method would be the way to go>

Any one have any tip and or tricks for repaint the jeep by any method?

98FloridaXJ
02-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I've been researching using Plasti-Dip to repaint my rig but I'm hesitant just because I don't know how it'll do with a vehicle that goes off road and that dirt and mud will shorten the life of it tremendously.

PurpleXJ
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I've been researching using Plasti-Dip to repaint my rig but I'm hesitant just because I don't know how it'll do with a vehicle that goes off road and that dirt and mud will shorten the life of it tremendously.

I would use plastidip on a light duty rig, but i would think that it would scratch/peel off by branches, rocks, and mud. Im looking at getting some for my civic though.

Sent from my Dalek!

Brasscatz
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Plasti dip is for sure a temporary paint job. I have it on my bumpers and fender flares. I haven't been off road much and it has held up well, but there are several places where it is chipped. I did it as a temp paint to see if I like it and now that I do, I'll do it permanently.

weasel
02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I have heard alot of good about duplicolor roll on prep prep prep my jeep is camo d"rattlecan easy touch up bup im goin the flat black duplicolor roll on soon as weather breaks the only issue ive had or see with rattle can is if you do a solid color is tiger stripes that may not bother you but that is my 2 cents good luck n let us know how it turns out

98FloridaXJ
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Yeah I've used plasti dip on my grill and I'm getting ready to do my fenders and trim since the rattle can job I did a year ago is already faded. Whatever I end up using on my DD is going to have to be pretty strong considering I've already added some small pinstripes on my doors from some of the tight trails I've ran.

nota944mechanic
03-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I've always wanted to try the $50 paint job (http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html). It doesn't work well on flexible materials like plastic bumper covers, etc., but it seems to work great on metal surfaces. Since the XJ is mostly steel, it would be an excellent candidate for this method.

4x4Dalton
03-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I rattle can'd my 95 OD green. Took bout 9 cans but you can't tell it was sprayed on.

nickyg
03-09-2013, 06:40 PM
I’m not a Pro or anything , If I’m wrong please someone correct me.

I have done paint three ways shot laqueur in a booth, rattle can and rolled on rustolum. In my opinion Rattle can was about the best bang for your buck.

The Key is in the prep work. Sand, sand and sand some more. Keep it clean. Take your time. It’ll come out good no matter which way you go.

And by the way, Jeeps come in only two colors.. Red and not red yet.

4x4Dalton
03-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I’m not a Pro or anything , If I’m wrong please someone correct me.

I have done paint three ways shot laqueur in a booth, rattle can and rolled on rustolum. In my opinion Rattle can was about the best bang for your buck.

The Key is in the prep work. Sand, sand and sand some more. Keep it clean. Take your time. It’ll come out good no matter which way you go.

And by the way, Jeeps come in only two colors.. Red and not red yet.

Lol. Didn't you get the memo. White is the new AWESOME :D