PDA

View Full Version : On Board Air Project

Joliet Johnny
02-10-2013, 04:24 AM
I have recently tested a 750W inverter with a 3 gallon compressor and found it worked. Im most likely soft mounting the compressor behind the drivers seat with anchor points and small ratchet straps. I plan to have a hose hook up in the front and rear. I also plan to add an air horn. And have not tested my impact to see if it can do anything useful.

Here is where Im lost:

What material and inside diameter should I use for the lines I plan to run? I plan a rubber line from the compressor into the center console. Then I figure a semi truck part to split the air 3 ways.

For the front bumper which would be best? A flip down license plate like old cars had for fuel with an air chuck behind it or a bracket under the bumper with the air chuck mounted in it.

This one is for one of the Mods: I figured out I can build a list of the parts I use for this project on Amazon. Is it possible to apply the affiliate link to the list I will build when I do the how to write up on it?

TripleZero
02-10-2013, 06:54 AM
I assume you are going to mainly use the compressor to air up tires and use some air tools now and then. If so, 1/4" air line should be fine. You could run up to 3/8" line also, but you may have a slight decrease in overall pressure(say 90 psi compared to 100 psi).

Forgot to add, as far as an air chuck(more like a quick disconnect), I would just hard mount it under the bumper. Behind a fold down license plate would be cool though to hide it.

Joliet Johnny
02-10-2013, 07:29 AM
I assume you are going to mainly use the compressor to air up tires and use some air tools now and then. If so, 1/4" air line should be fine. You could run up to 3/8" line also, but you may have a slight decrease in overall pressure(say 90 psi compared to 100 psi).

Forgot to add, as far as an air chuck(more like a quick disconnect), I would just hard mount it under the bumper. Behind a fold down license plate would be cool though to hide it.

Im most concerned with crap getting into my connection for air. Which is why I think to hide it behind the plate and yes I think it would look cool. What air tool performance issues would I see from 1/4 cause Im from the school of air tools for out hand tools for in?

TripleZero
02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
For your connection, you could also find some type of cap to put over the end of it too, even if you did mount it behind a fold down license plate. Never hurts to have a little extra protection.

You shouldn't really see any negative issues with air tools and 1/4" line with your setup. Like I said you could use 3/8" line also, but my only concern would be a slight drop in pressure due to a somewhat lack of volume. Most likely it wouldn't be that big of a deal though.

98FloridaXJ
02-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Kind of lost me in your last sentence but you shouldn't have issues with 1/4 air lines as long as the the walls of the hose are thick enough to handle higher pressures and it would also make the lines more durable. My only concern would be with the inverter and the cycling of the compressor with air tools, should be fine to air up tires but I'd be careful with high air draw tools possibly causing the inverter to overload.

Joliet Johnny
02-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I figure air tools would be a side of the road issue. Ive survived 31 years without a compressor so far. As long as I can break something loose dont care if I have to use hand tools to finish it. I doubled what math told me was required for the compressor and when the inverter is replaced by a permanently mounted one I will buy bigger and better(want XJ to run a fridge)

Also for a cap to keep out crap, an air hose fitting filled with silicon?

98FloridaXJ
02-10-2013, 09:14 AM
You did your calculations for full load amps or running amps? I know there are other factors with inverters but 750 watts by my calculations are only 6 and change for amps. A motor load like a compressor can draw more than that at every start up.

4.3LXJ
02-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I am getting in this a little late, but I wouldn't go with 1/4" line because it won't handle much volume. Sooner or later you will want to run an impact to change a tire or a blow gun to clean out your air filter or any other thing that might be handy. Shoot, my shop compressor died so now I use the Jeep compressor to run an impact to work on the Jeep. For hose I used regular 3/8" black rubber hose from Sears. I originally had some red hose from china and it started falling apart from the heat in areas that got hot. The black stuff runs the full length to the back where the tank is and has held up nicely. Here is a pic of my quick disconnect with cover. It is available at Kilby Enterprises. I have had this in operation for over three years in mud and such and never had a problem with stuff in it.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0982.jpg

Joliet Johnny
02-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Box is gone but it said after math 312W with a $15 difference wasnt a hard choice. Even if peak was double I feel safe. My inverter says it can do 1500W peak. I have a Kill-a-watt and plan to figure out where it is then see what the compressor really uses.

Joliet Johnny
02-10-2013, 10:49 AM
I am getting in this a little late, but I wouldn't go with 1/4" line because it won't handle much volume. Sooner or later you will want to run an impact to change a tire or a blow gun to clean out your air filter or any other thing that might be handy. Shoot, my shop compressor died so now I use the Jeep compressor to run an impact to work on the Jeep. For hose I used regular 3/8" black rubber hose from Sears. I originally had some red hose from china and it started falling apart from the heat in areas that got hot. The black stuff runs the full length to the back where the tank is and has held up nicely. Here is a pic of my quick disconnect with cover. It is available at Kilby Enterprises. I have had this in operation for over three years in mud and such and never had a problem with stuff in it.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0982.jpg

That looks like a similar setup to what we have on the intermodal chassis at work (I drive a spotter truck)just replace the glad hand for a quick disconnect. So did you run a 3/8 metal or rubber line from the tank?

4.3LXJ
02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
It is rubber line. Easy to work with and zip tied to the unibody with zip ties with screw holes in the end. You will find those in the electrical section of Lowes or other stores.

Joliet Johnny
02-20-2013, 11:14 PM
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/jolietjohnny/2013-02-20230013_zpsc873f6fd.jpg

Im thinking about putting this in the front because the display model seemed well built. Think it is like $24. Im thinking about using this on the front because it seems like an easy way to also run the air horn. The hose from this system is expensive and I dont need 100ft of it. Going to the junkyard tomorrow to see about using the rear plate holder from an 80s GM on the front of my XJ.