PDA

View Full Version : Curious about rocklights

weasel
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I am just curious why nobody mounts them to bumper endcaps (sides)flush or however plus wouldnt it be better than having them underneath to get crap slung up on them plus might look good just wondering all the pis i have never seen it done this way soon as i get mine in the mail ill show how it looks on mine btw just my :smiley-talk024: for theday

NW99XJ
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
It usually ends up that as a Cherokee goes thru its life.... the end caps eventually come off, for either clearance, becuase o rock or tree took them off, or because different bumpers get put on.
Unless you are 100% certain that this will never happen to you (which by the way I swore I was at one point - but look at me now.....) ....then I'd say go for it.
But honestly, having them tucked under, and protected from everything else other than mud/road spray is the better choice. (IMHO)

prerunner1982
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Anything facing down under the vehicle is going to get crud slung at it. When they are placed underneath they are usually done so in places where they won't get crushed. Mounting them in/on/under the bumper puts them at risk of being hit by rocks, especially on the stock plastic end caps.

weasel
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
I meant in the end of the bumper flush mount like on back of a big rig that way it would be able to be done on aftermarket homeade what have you bumper not factory endcaps

prerunner1982
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/XJ-StandardThmb.jpg
http://www.4statetrucks.com/images/09-011001_l.jpg

Those would work great for back up lights and rear flood type lights, but not so much rock lights. I don't think there is enough metal underneath to mount them flush to face downwards like a rock light should.

weasel
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
getn myself confused lol flush mounted likethe bottom pic but on the end of the bumper kinda like this as a example i dont know how to get the pic from google to here lol computer iliterate but here is a try http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/bumper_end_cap_illuminated.jpg

weasel
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.jk6wheel.com/images/specs/rearsoundoff.jpg

NW99XJ
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Wouldn't those be pointing OUTWARD then?
the objective with rock-lights is to (at night) see whats under you, or what is immediately in front of (or behind) your tires.
Although your idea has some merit, I think for the desired application, another location would be better suited for the purpose of said lights.

However in post 7 that looks to be a bit better...

weasel
02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
i reckon you are right n i had a brainfart but still ya cant see up under ya if ur driven unless ur head is hangin outa the door so pointin outward could save a kamakazee rabbit but also my theory would be easier to just mount em on roofrack aiming down sometimes i think to quick and miss my own question so to say lol

4.3LXJ
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
A true rock light is used in rocks in a very low speed situation. Typically, rock lights need to be one in front of the front wheel, one mid ships and one in back of the rear wheel. When you get to the type of lights you are talking about for night wheeling, then yes you need more coverage. Lights on the rack need some side coverage as well

XJ Wheeler
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, rock lights are meant to be pointed directly under the vehicle to illuminate the tires, obstacles, and well the undercarriage to see for clearance. I think the light you're thinking about is more like a curb light, like the ones that came on mercury cars and a few others. I've thought of putting on some to light up the corners in front as well. But, although the end caps are a hard plastic they are not a suitable mounting location for light/antennas/etc.

When in doubt, mount it to something stout.

weasel
02-08-2013, 07:19 PM
You are right but i am not talkin about plastic caps lol i mean puting them in the end of bumpers cause i tend to outrun my headlights

Dredwolf
02-09-2013, 07:57 AM
When in doubt, mount it to something stout.

This just screams awesome....we need a decal :D