PDA

View Full Version : 97' grand disk brakes on a 96' cherokee

billyjack
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Ok so i just finished up the disk conversion on my 96' XJ. went easier than i thought.

I started with a dana 35 out of a 97' grand cherokee and removed the disc brakes and lines.

Had to use a "plasma cutter" to make the center hole for the axle houseing alittle bigger then put them in place. the bolt holes from the chrysler 8.25 and dana 35 line right up to bolt into place. the cutting was the only hard part about it......well and trying to get the disk brakes off the dana 35 that was sitting in a junk yard for years.

i used the same brake 3 way and brake lines off the grand cherokee,had to do alittle bending to get them to work but everything went into place rather easy. the one big diffrence is the e-brake cables. The grand cherokee cables are alot shorter than the cherokee ones so i had to FAB a new tension rod above the driveshaft. (picture enclosed).

onced we had it all hooked up we adjusted them,bleed them and took it for a spin. HUGH diffrence. i can now park on a hill and set my e-brake and it will hold,dont have to worry about rocks and sand getting into the drums and no worries about them freezing up in the winter if i roll through a creek.most of all it didnt cost a arm and a leg to do it!

bluedragon436
02-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Did you use a threaded shaft for the new tension rod?? This is one of the mods I want to do to my XJ once I get back from my next deployment..

billyjack
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Did you use a threaded shaft for the new tension rod?? This is one of the mods I want to do to my XJ once I get back from my next deployment..

Yes, just went to "Lowes" and picked up 1 threaded rod and measured to lenght. threaded everything together and adjusted. easy as can be.

NW99XJ
02-08-2013, 09:26 AM
MORE PICS!!!
I'd like to see more of the finished product if you can swing it!

billyjack
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Leaving for southern cali tomorrow. will be gone for the week. i will try and get some for you the following weekend.

billyjack
02-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Ok, I said I would get some pics as soon as I got back. Well I took some while we were fab'n some new bump stops for the rear. These pics don't really show everything I was wanting to show but I really didn't want to pull the axles just for pics. so I will promise that when I install the OX in the rear I will take more detailed pics!!!!

billyjack
02-16-2013, 06:28 PM

billyjack
02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Brake line route

billyjack
02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Back side

billyjack
02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Sorry guys but will only let me post 1 at a time.

billyjack
02-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Inside....best I could get

nickxj94
02-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Best mod I done on my Jeep besides the winch! Mine stops alot better since I got a new master cylinder too :D