PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Question?

Klaatu55
02-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Good Morning All. This is the way my pump is routed. The pump moves counter-clockwise (Drawing). The actual pump (looking at it from the back it moves clockwise) would seem to fling the water flow out from the center (bottom hose to the engine block ) instead of scooping it in. Is this the correct direction? Maybe if I could be pointed to a write up on the flow path in general that would help.

4.3LXJ
02-05-2013, 10:34 AM
That pump, the way you have it pictured is made to move counterclockwise looking at it from the back. So if you look at it from the front it should go clockwise.

xj4life2
02-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Sadley the 4.0 uses two different pumps and can go in either direction (they have a reverse rotation pump), so my suggestion would be to match the current one to the new one.the flow path starts at the thermostat goes through it down the radiator through the lower hose up through the the block/heads then starts over.

weasel
02-05-2013, 10:50 AM
i know this prob wont help i just thought id share i grabed spare water pump from my 94 zj instead of my xj and got it all bolted up befor i realized the only diff was the zj sticks out for fan and xj just takes pully insert numerus curse words here :bang: thats what i got for being in a hurry oh n dont bend the heater pipe n good luck

Klaatu55
02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
So the impellers (scoops) on my set up are designed not to scoop water in but to fling water out into the engine cavity.

Pookapotamus
02-05-2013, 02:26 PM
that pump looks like its a right hand drive version, my pump's outlet faces the opposite direction.???

Klaatu55
02-05-2013, 02:39 PM
This is the direction it goes. Is this correct?

4.3LXJ
02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
No, it goes the opposite. It slings water to the outside

Pookapotamus
02-05-2013, 04:16 PM
:rolleye0012:i was looking at it upside down:rolleye0012:

Klaatu55
02-06-2013, 12:14 AM
My bad the picture is upside down. My pump runs in the direction of the first diagram and the arrows in the last pic. I wonder if this is what my summer overheating in traffic problem is from. Hard to check on 31 degree days. My scanner shows no temp past 203. Maybe because I'm just idling in the driveway. Maybe transmission heat will give me the other 7 degrees. I can see the coolant disappear from the radiator neck at around 190-195,so I'm pretty sure the thermostat is working. Is there any definite way (vin #?) to know which pump is the right one. The newly installed pump looks exactly like the (old) one pictured.

xj4life2
02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
short of calling jeep with the vin code and asking them what pump came on the rig , no. However if its the same as the one that came off chances are your ok. As for heating issues ...... Cherokees are known for them and there are countless threads written on this subject. Do some research and start the process !!

4.3LXJ
02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
There should be a belt route diagram under the hood. Use that to determine which way the pump should turn. The crank pulley goes clockwise.

Klaatu55
02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
The water pump has been changed several times. the one shown (still good) was changed two weeks ago. The new one is in now.they match. Didn't check for match two years ago when I made the first change because of squeal. The belts are routed right. I believe what's being said is that the vanes of the pump are reversed. But my research has found a test that goes like, remove thermostat, reattached thermostat housing,remove upper radiator hose,start engine,water should exit upper radiator outlet with force. I would take it that means impeller is propelling water in proper direction. I hope this is right. New shroud didn't come with belt routing decal. Thanks All for Help, and by the way.flush,back flush,flush again,back flush,after lots of flushes, stuff in heater core broke lose. I have heat again.

Found information I was looking for here. http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/info/standard_reverse_rotation.html

Carves
02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
The directional arrows you drew on your piccy ... Match the info/diagram in the 99 workshop manual ... and the info in the link you posted.

You can save yourself some time and effort checking flow rates .... as theres no need to remove thermostat and top hose .... Just remove the heater hose connected to the thermostat housing.

The heater hose always has flow, whether the t'stat is open or closed
........ I guess you blokes need to get your toes warmed as quickly as possible - up there in the northern hemisphere .. :D

The FSM states that poor cabin heat is indicative of a failing water pump ... but with all the tales of blocked heater cores ... removing the hose might be a better option for a flow check.

XJ Wheeler
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
The directional arrows you drew on your piccy ... Match the info/diagram in the 99 workshop manual ... and the info in the link you posted.

You can save yourself some time and effort checking flow rates .... as theres no need to remove thermostat and top hose .... Just remove the heater hose connected to the thermostat housing.

The heater hose always has flow, whether the t'stat is open or closed
........ I guess you blokes need to get your toes warmed as quickly as possible - up there in the northern hemisphere .. :D

The FSM states that poor cabin heat is indicative of a failing water pump ... but with all the tales of blocked heater cores ... removing the hose might be a better option for a flow check.
Hey, not all of us. I got a good heater, although i never use it. But its the chilly one i need working right... especially when you guys under there send that scorching stuff up here in a couple weeks. :rolleye0012: