PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher

Joliet Johnny
02-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I was thinking about my Jeep while driving around at work today. Where is the best place to mount a fire extinguisher? Also what type should I have and how big is big enough? So far Im thinking passenger floor in right in front of the seat cause nobody really puts there feet there or under the backseat.

Brasscatz
02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Not really sure as to what type, I suppose the one that's rated ABC or however they rate them these days. I know they sell them at auto parts stores. As far as location, there are different options. Passenger side floor board will provide quick and easy access, while under the back seat (if it fits) will be concealed yet more difficult to access in an emergency situation. You could do like a race car and remove the console and mount it between the seats ;).

4.3LXJ
02-03-2013, 10:06 AM
When you need a fire extinguisher, you need one now. A 5# ABC is best located on the floor between the door and driver seat so it can be grabbed when exiting the vehicle

Joliet Johnny
02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
When you need a fire extinguisher, you need one now. A 5# ABC is best located on the floor between the door and driver seat so it can be grabbed when exiting the vehicle

What got me thinking about this was the time my spotter truck caught fire at work, yes it was a boring night. At work we keep the fire extinguisher next to the seat by the door. That night my truck was missing 1 fire extinguisher. I flagged someone down and boy was it hard to remove it from the metal clip that held it in place. I went to my truck and got 1 small puff. Called for another and was able to put out the fire. Only damage to the truck was a completely melted radio and a disfigured dash.

You have got me to think about mounting it to the door, which seems best cause if a fire came from the drivers side it may be easier to grab it off the door. Probably wouldnt be a terrible idea to put one on the passenger door too. These things are like $30 and a decent XJ here is like $3-5K, stupid rust...

4.3LXJ
02-03-2013, 10:45 AM
That one puff thing demonstrates the reason you have to do a little maintenance on them. You have to shake them once in awhile or the powder will compact. So before use, give them a good shake or they will be useless

XJ Wheeler
02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I have mine mounted in the back, just to the left so i can open the hatch and grab it quick. I had thought of putting it down beside the seat but figured in an accident (drivers side impact) would crush that spot making the extinguisher impossible to get out. That is, if its still usable and not destroyed.

Carves
02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
That one puff thing demonstrates the reason you have to do a little maintenance on them. You have to shake them once in awhile or the powder will compact. So before use, give them a good shake or they will be useless

Shake regularly would be my suggestion .. ;)

My preference would be tap politcians and eco-freaks on the noggin with them - to loosen the powder ...

.... as I wonder whether the clowns ever considered the minimal ozone layer damage ... caused by a coupla 2lb BCF extinguishers ... compared to the damage caused by a complete vehicle burn .. :rolleyes:

X 2 for a mount in front of the seats ... both seats if possible - and maybe a bigger, third one in the rear, since the little ones are only good for little incidents.