PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper motor adjustment?

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Is there a way to adjust the rear wiper motor? I went through a car wash at work and it knocked my rear wiper arm straight down. It won't cycle through its normal range anymore. It'll always go way too far down past the window. Stupid car wash also ate one of my bumper light covers... though I didn't notice until I got home. :bang:

Carves
02-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Did the arm just get spun around on the shaft ??

Flip up the little cover on the wiper arm/shaft elbow and you'll find a nut under it.

Should just be a matter of;

Undo ... re-align wiper arm ... tighten back up.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2013, 09:23 PM
You can also pull the arm and reposition it

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Well, the arm is pretty easy to move around. I'll try to do that stuff in the morning. It'll still do it's normal motion after I moved it back into place, but it's almost like the motor is too weak and the momentum of the arm in its downward sweep carries the arm too far down no matter how I position it. Could be a weak motor that needs replacing?

4.3LXJ
02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
It could also be stripped. I thought that might happen. The motor itself is bolted in on the inside so it is likely not going to rotate. Check the teeth on the inside of the arm and on the armature.

Carves
02-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Outa bed yet ??

What did you find ... stripped splines ???

Brasscatz
02-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Lol, sorry Carves, was at the junkyard with Patrick. I tightened the nut under there and when I checked it out today, the arm motion seemed pretty normal. Time will tell, but I still think the motor is a bit weak. Splines did look a bit worn though. Seems like a future item to put on my checklist ;)