PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Issues

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Alrighty, my cruise control has stopped wanting to turn on. I use it every day so that I save gas and don't speed. On the highway the other morning, I pushed the button to turn it on and nothing. I pressed it several times and finally the indicator light came on and it was working. Then it didn't work for several more days, and I tried again and it worked.... once.

Something is telling me it's the switch or wiring up to the switch. I don't think it's a fuse since it did turn on a couple of times. What are your thoughts? I've never removed an airbag before, but how easy is it to get the switch off? Can I do it without taking out the airbag? I suppose I could just go out and tinker with it, but I just woke up and I'm being a bit lazy :D Any ideas would be appreciated.

Klaatu55
02-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Mine stopped a while back too. Interested in solutions. Thanks for asking

4.3LXJ
02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
I haven't removed one either, but IIRC there is a procedure for it to keep it from going boom. As far as I know, you have to remove the wheel to get to the wiring and switches underneath.

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 10:40 AM
My airbag light has been on since I bought it too. Here's another question... If I disconnect the battery, is the airbag still able to deploy?

4.3LXJ
02-02-2013, 10:41 AM
That is another good question. My manual is out in the shop right now. I can give you an answer this afternoon on that.

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks Steve. I would appreciate that

gary63
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
if you just deconect the battery it can you need to wait some time sorry I don't know the exact time it is around 10-30 min.

Sneedle Vision
02-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Gary is right. Just wait about 30 minutes after you disconnect the battery and you'll be okay.

If I remember right, you can unbolt the switches without removing the bag or wheel. It should just be one bolt that holds the on/off panel and one for the resume/decel panel.

It really isn't a tough job at all. I think it's a max of 6 bolts and everything is off. You will need a steering wheel puller if your clockspring has gone bad though.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2013, 04:21 PM
I consulted my manual. it states that it takes two minutes after the battery cables are both disconnected to discharge the capacitor in it and render it non operative.

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks fellers. I need to get out there now and see if I can find what is wrong. I do appreciate it!

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Alright, this is what I found out. You can remove the on/off switch without removing the airbag. HOWEVER, I was unable to do this without breaking the clip that you screw into. I also found out that I cannot open the switch without breaking it open, so I looks like my next order of business is to buy a new switch and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks again everybody for your input!

bigjim350
02-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Make sure you still have brake lights. On the 01 XJ I had the cruise stopped working when the brake switch went bad

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Hmmm.... I'll go check that right now

Brasscatz
02-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Yep, still have brake lights. Whew!

grimhelm
02-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Your clockspring has gone out. You'll need to remove your airbag and steering wheel to replace it. I had to get the new one from the dealer.Ouch!! After I replaced it the airbag light went off and the cruise control worked.

Joliet Johnny
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
When removing airbags I have always waited the prescribed amount of time and then turned on the headlights and touched the negative and positive cables together just to make sure all power was gone. I know a vacuum leak may cause trouble with cruise control. I also remember something about checking continuity between some pins but dont remember which ones. My cruise is still inop and voltmeter needs a strange and hard to find fuse, so I have put it off.

Brasscatz
02-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Your clockspring has gone out. You'll need to remove your airbag and steering wheel to replace it. I had to get the new one from the dealer.Ouch!! After I replaced it the airbag light went off and the cruise control worked.

It seems you're probably right about the clock spring. I went with prcjeep to the junkyard today and grabbed a new switch.... doesn't seem to work :( I also tried to grab the clock spring off the one at the jy, but I couldn't find bolts to work in my steering wheel puller and I think I broke the clock spring removing the wheel with my hammer :bang::bang: Looks like another trip at some point will be in the books. I'll get some bolts for the puller and try not to break this one :o

Brasscatz
05-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Alrighty, got a new clock spring from the junk yard, got it installed, and still no worky. :( Possibly another bad clock spring? I suppose now that I have an extra, I can go buy a soldering iron and see if I can repair one, huh? Any thoughts?

grimhelm
05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
I actually tryed a clockspring from a junkyard and it threw a TPS code and didn't idle right. I planned on keeping my Jeep for a while and sprung for a new one from the dealer. It has worked fine since. Nice to have cruise control again.

Sneedle Vision
05-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Well, on the brightside, there are only 3 components that it could be. The clockspring, the switches, and the servo under the hood.

But I'm not sure if there is a way to test if your JY clockspring is good or not though.

Make sure the servo is connected to the right part of the loom, I plugged mine in the wrong connector, so I got lights on the dash, but no worky. Took a week to figure that out. :bang:

gunslinger
03-14-2014, 08:58 PM
ok my problem is the same thing my light for the cruise comes on then i push set nothing i push a secound time it goes off the light then want come back on help.
:P:P:P:P:P:P:smiley-scared002::workout: