PDA

View Full Version : Small winch

olds-cool
02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
So I'm looking at my latest Harbor Freight ad and I see that they have a 5k winch on sale for $150 this month. Now before everyone gets up in arms about the low rating and trusting life to a HF winch...blah blah blah...I know it is recommended to have a winch capable of at least 2x the vehicle weight, meaning at least an 8k for us. My thoughts were to mount it to a plate that could be slid into the rear receiver and used only on rare occasions like pulling myself out of a mud hole or something. I would not want to use this in a life & death situation. My neighbor has used a 3k for the same purpose in the back of his extended cab Ram, which I'm sure weighs at least as much as an XJ, if not more. What do you guys think? Seems kinda hard to pass up a 5k for the price of a normal ATV winch.

bluedragon436
02-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Hey every little bit can help to get you out of predicament.. now what I am thinking on using this winch for the purpose you have said... is that the only way I would plan on using it to get you out of a mud hole or something is if you can almost get out on your own, you just need that little bit extra uumph... and you are going to be using your XJ in reverse and just use the winch for a little bit extra pull.. But as you said, I wouldn't use it for anything like pulling yourself out of a huge ditch, if you have mud over your hood or anything like that... I mean worse case scenario is that you'll either break the cable or burn the motor up... in which case you're down $150... but if it kept you from having to call a tow truck... then you just saved yourself most likely way more than just that $150..

gary63
02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
will it would work if you need one and you can double it up with a block also you can use it to pull things up onto a trailer and for $150.00 I go for it. and you can loan it out and not be out alot if it gets recked.

XJ Wheeler
02-01-2013, 02:20 PM
You could, but i suggest snatch blocking it to ease the stress.

Carves
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Years ago, I bought a cheapish, 1ton version of whats now called an ATV winch. Was to be temporary thing till I fitted something decent. Ten years later - it had been on several vehicles and used regularly.

Used as a traction aid rather than a recovery item ... It was fine .. ;)

So as long as you understand you're buying a low priced, 5k winch ... and use it accordingly ..... you shouldnt have a problem.

Totally agree with the others on a snatchblock ... and prepping the vehicle by lifting and packing under the wheels, etc., will make things even easier.

olds-cool
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Honestly I'm a bit suprised at the responses you guys have all given. I 1/2 expected this idea to get shot down in a heartbeat. As carves put it, it would be a traction aid, not a recovery item. I'm currently waiting our annual bonus at work. Should be in before the end of the month. I'll go ahead and put this on my list of possible buys.

dagod16
02-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Did you say a small wench. hahahah

I'm been using one of those for a while now and she is pretty good at what she does. :thumbsup:

Joliet Johnny
02-03-2013, 07:29 AM
I was thinking about this wench too. Not many places to wheel around here (know of 1) and snow is my biggest worry. Also would be good to get the random dead vehicle off the street and on the driveway to make repairs safer.

dagod16
02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Ya know it pays to have a wench with you at all times. You might need one if you get stuck for long periods of time on the side of the road. Or if it is at a rest stop or even on vacation. A wench really come in handy. Kinda like having a bag of spare tools in the back. A wench can solve a variety of problems that you could easily fix. A wench is key. Preferably one that doesn't have too many opinions.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Ya know it pays to have a wench with you at all times. You might need one if you get stuck for long periods of time on the side of the road. Or if it is at a rest stop or even on vacation. A wench really come in handy. Kinda like having a bag of spare tools in the back. A wench can solve a variety of problems that you could easily fix. A wench is key. Preferably one that doesn't have too many opinions.

Robert, I love your post. I keep a WENCH around too to solve all my problems, but I have a WINCH on the front too for those really nasty extractions :P

denverd1
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Did you say a small wench. hahahah

I'm been using one of those for a while now and she is pretty good at what she does. :thumbsup:

You and Wayne both. And you both seem to enjoy them :smiley-laughing021: :wink:

There's prolly a joke about "snatch block" in there somewhere too, but its still a bit early....

I say go for it. double her down and call it good!