PDA

View Full Version : Codes PO743 & PO705

Coaster_DC
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
My engine check light just came on my '97 XJ, 170K miles. I had the XJ for about 5 weeks. Turns out it's the PO743 - Torque Converter solenoid electrical and PO705-Transmission Range, Sensor A circuit, PRNDL. As of now, there is no noticable problems in changing gears, just the check engine light. Please note, some days the engine light will be on, and some days the light will be off. Fortunately car passed Maryland inspection when light was off. What are my next steps ... I'm planning a road trip to Allentown, PA this Saturday. Is this something I need to address immediately, or can it wait till next week when I get back from Allentown. Plus working on a limited budget, what type of repair costs am I looking at dealing with the above codes. Welcome any and all advise. Thanks in advance.

xj4life2
01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Solenoids aren't horrible to replace, do a search I believe Tony did a nice write up on the subject. Not sure if I would plan any big trips before its repaired but thats your call. If your not noticing any issues you may be ok , but one never knows.
Cant find PO705 listed for your veh but on most rigs its you neutral saftey switch out of range or shorted

bluedragon436
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
I was going to say change out the solenoids, and throw a new trans filter in while you're there with new fluid...never hurts to get some fresh fluid and new filter in a used vehicle you just purchased (who knows when if ever it was changed)... and might look into cleaning the NSS and see if that will take care of that P0705 code.. there is a writeup on here for that as well... It is kind of odd that they both popped up at the same time..

xj4life2
01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
A short in the Sol. could cause the NSS to report incorrectly , I would go after the Sol. fiorst but the NSS is cheap and easy so I'd probably just do it !!!