PDA

View Full Version : Should I weld the read diff?

gordo
01-30-2013, 09:34 PM
whats up guys a have the 95 cherokee i am thinking off welding the back diff what do u think it the stock one i think its a chrysler 8.5

4.3LXJ
01-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Adrian, I have to confess I am not a fan of welded diff, or lincoln lockers if you prefer. Some people like them I guess. The only advantage is that it is cheap. There are disadvantages though. A welded diff tends to push you in a straight line and steering is not very precise off road. The other is that you have the small axles and they may not like that, particularly in rocky terrain

LizardRunner
01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
I too am not a fan of the welded diff. you will like the driveability of using any type of locker. Spools and welded diffs are really only good for dragsters that only go in a straight line in my opinion.

Mudderoy
01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Adrian, I have to confess I am not a fan of welded diff, or lincoln lockers if you prefer. Some people like them I guess. The only advantage is that it is cheap. There are disadvantages though. A welded diff tends to push you in a straight line and steering is not very precise off road. The other is that you have the small axles and they may not like that, particularly in rocky terrain

Isn't a spool better, and easily removed, or more so than a welded spider gear?

If I recall they are pretty cheap too, like less than $200

4.3LXJ
01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
If you are going to spend that, get the locker. There is another issue with welding diffs that most people don't know. You cannot use mild steel rod or wire on them since they are made out of carbon steel alloy. You need to use special rod on that type of steel or it will break loose

Dredwolf
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
If you are going to spend that, get the locker. There is another issue with welding diffs that most people don't know. You cannot use mild steel rod or wire on them since they are made out of carbon steel alloy. You need to use special rod on that type of steel or it will break loose

Bingo! Being in the South, we have a LOT of "late night Lincoln Locker conversions" done, usually with beer and a Sawsall involved too....

If you are trying to build something to run in a local mud bog the next day, that's one thing...

bigjim350
01-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Isn't a spool better, and easily removed, or more so than a welded spider gear?

If I recall they are pretty cheap too, like less than $200

They don't sell spools for our rear axles or mini spools. Id run a mini spool if they did. A welded or spooled rear actually does pretty good for the type of wheeling here. I think the OP is in FL so the wheeling there is about the same. If you do weld it, make sure you get good penetration and maybe weld in a gusset on one side of the spider gears(not both sides or you wont be able to get to the c-clips)

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

xjrev10
01-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Also do NOT use brake clean to clean out the gear oil before welding...if you decide to do it.

4.3LXJ
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
If ou do it, remove the carrier. That way little pieces of slag will not take out the gears

xjmarc
01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
I run a welded rear and it works great for me but I don't drive it on the street. You need to consider what all you use your jeep for. Do you drive it on the street much if so your tires will wear a lot faster due to scrubbing on turns. If it's a daily driver I'd say save up for a locker. If it's a dedicated trail rig maybe but you have the smaller necked down 27 spline axles that are actually smaller than a D35. Tire size will be a deciding factor as well. I wouldn't run a tire larger than 33" on that rear open, 31s locked or welded. A better option would be to find a later model, 97 and up, 8.25 with the 29 spline shafts. It'll hold 35s if you treat it right.

gordo
02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
thank u all and my rig in for muding only but i think i am going to get a locker

4.3LXJ
02-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I think that is a wise move