PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions :)

Shinigami
01-30-2013, 01:12 AM
In about a month I'm going to swap out the 4.0 motor in my 99 XJ 4x4 and was wondering a few things that I hope I can get some answers to.

99 Jeep Cherokee Classic - Automatic - Pretty much bone stock. Mileage on cluster 138235.

1 - What would be easier and less of a pain, Remove the Motor and transmission together or separate it before removing the motor?

2 - Should I replace the Torque converter before putting everything back together into the jeep. I don't know if it was slipping or not before my brother gave it to me. He wouldn't know either since he got the car from copart. Engine is seized.

3 - I'm going to need new injectors since the ones that I took out had rust residue on the tip of three injectors. Is there a better replacement for the stock ones that are plug and play? If not, what brand do you guys recommend.

Thanks for any input. :thumbsup:

XJMJeep
01-30-2013, 01:53 AM
1) On a 4wd I think pulling just the engine is easier, 2wd I pull both.
2) I'd change it. May as well its already apart.
3) On my 88 I'm running Mustang injectors, factory on my 91.
I've read FoMoCo 24# injectors work well on HO engines.

XJ Wheeler
01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
1: I would probably have to just pull the engine, might have to disassemble the front end if you try pulling the trans with it.

2: I agree with XJMJeep, if ya got the means you've already got it apart and ready.

3: There's either neon or mustang injectors that are suppose to be better, but they're a little specific as to which ones to use for different years. I'm not schooled on that yet, so i can't suggest a certain one.

4.3LXJ
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Just pull the motor. Those are long enough anyway with out a tranny on them.

Shinigami
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the response guys. As far as the Torque converter goes are the ones from the parts store any good with quality? If you guys have dealt with them, I'm sure a dealer one will be an arm and a leg.