PDA

View Full Version : I need my flame suit for this one! 4wd conversion

PurpleXJ
01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
So I have been looking for a 4x4 XJ to swap for my 2wd. Preferably one with a blown motor or something so its cheap. I cannot find one. So the stupid part of me wants to know a general parts list for a conversion. I know it will be a lot harder and expensive (why I am trying to find another xj) but i hate this waiting. So other than the obvious (trans, tcase, axels, drive shafts, shift linkages, blah blah.) are there any other parts that would be needed? I would prefer to have computers and wiring harnesses. And i dont care about interior parts. I would like the aw4 but I know someone who can get me an ax15 for cheap. So possible 5spd conversion aswell???

God I hope I can find another jeep... Lol

Sent from my Dalek!

4.3LXJ
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
I think that covers it unless you want the little 4WD light to work in which you will need the switch and vacuum harness

On second thought, if you get a vacuum disconnect axle, get the vacuum harness or you will have to shim the CAD over to permanent engagement

PurpleXJ
01-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I think that covers it unless you want the little 4WD light to work in which you will need the switch and vacuum harness

On second thought, if you get a vacuum disconnect axle, get the vacuum harness or you will have to shim the CAD over to permanent engagement

Idc if the light doesnt work. If im going to convert it then i will spend more than I make and go all out. Which scares me. Lol

Sent from my Dalek!

NW99XJ
01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Juts curious......Why not sell what you have, and buy a 4WD platform to start a build with?

PurpleXJ
01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Juts curious......Why not sell what you have, and buy a 4WD platform to start a build with?

Ive considered it, and ive tried. Noone wants it. You would think it would sell good because my current location people are into the "put a lift and big tires on a 2wd" just to look cool. Im not committing to a conversion just yet. Just considering the option . I still need to fix my motor mount, after I fix my f250.

Edit: I was actually going to fix the mounts and give it to my friend who totaled his truck so he can get to/from school. But he just picked up a 73 super beetle.

Sent from my Dalek!

bigjim350
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
The coversion really isnt that expensive with junkyard parts. And the other good thing is that there is no fab needed at all, everything bolts on. Your best bet is to hit up a junkyard, grab a tranny/tcase, front axle, both driveshafts, shifter linkage, and shifter bezel and just bolt it all in. As far as the front axle goes, try to get one out of a 92 or newer to avoid the vaccum disconnect.

PurpleXJ
01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
The coversion really isnt that expensive with junkyard parts. And the other good thing is that there is no fab needed at all, everything bolts on. Your best bet is to hit up a junkyard, grab a tranny/tcase, front axle, both driveshafts, shifter linkage, and shifter bezel and just bolt it all in. As far as the front axle goes, try to get one out of a 92 or newer to avoid the vaccum disconnect.

Well its more expensive than spending 700 on a parts jeep that yu later resell.

Sent from my Dalek!

bigjim350
01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Not sure what kind of junkyards you have there, but down here if you go on the right weekend you could get everything for 400 or less.

PurpleXJ
01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Not sure what kind of junkyards you have there, but down here if you go on the right weekend you could get everything for 400 or less.

I honestly havent been to many. The closest I have been to was a scrap yard to sell off some steel. My dad knows people who frequent them a lot so I will ask around. See if any have some good xj's. how hard is it to make explorer axels work? Theres a wrecked explorer in my neighborhood I could probly get super cheap.

Sent from my Dalek!

4.3LXJ
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
You can use the rear end, but you must match gear ratio. It takes a driveline adapter and rewelding the spring perches