PDA

View Full Version : Need help with spring ideas

kph03281983
01-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Hey guys im new to xj's im wanting to go the best and cheapest routes. I just got a 99 cherokee and want to lift it. Im wanting to know the best way to lift it with little money. I was wondering what leaf springs will match mine. My leaf springs are completely shot. I have heard of people putting front f150 springs in and silverado leaf springs in it. Please let me know the best way to do a lift with a little $ flow.
Thanks kevin

Mudderoy
01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Hey guys im new to xj's im wanting to go the best and cheapest routes. I just got a 99 cherokee and want to lift it. Im wanting to know the best way to lift it with little money. I was wondering what leaf springs will match mine. My leaf springs are completely shot. I have heard of people putting front f150 springs in and silverado leaf springs in it. Please let me know the best way to do a lift with a little $ flow.
Thanks kevin

I'm sure you'll be reading more and better posts shortly, but I'll jump in with a quick, I believe the common thing to do is use a set of S10 springs, or perhaps they are the start of something everyone calls "bastard packs". Things I have heard are you'll get the lift, but they can be a bit rougher than a set of leaves that were made for the Cherokee.

Yep, I think you can lift your 99 pretty cheaply using the junk yard lift idea.

4.3LXJ
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
On the front, don't use F150 springs, they are too stiff. Unless you like something that rides like an old semi truck. V8 Grand Cherokee coils with 2' spacers. Use the bottom three leaves from an S10 and the XJ main leaf

kph03281983
01-26-2013, 10:33 AM
How exactly do i do i use the s10 springs. Details???? Plz. I have been working on motorcycles and motors all my life just never messed with suspension and lifts.

4.3LXJ
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Here is a link for Isuzu springs in a bastard pack. Use the same principles for the S10 pack. I don't have one that is S10 specific. Probably need to do that

http://www.xjtalk.com/search.php?searchid=473394

kph03281983
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I like the rodeo set up! So... Lol. Im new to all this so i use the longest spring on my cherokee and......? Lol. Can u give me a detailed list of things to do plz.

4.3LXJ
01-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Kevin, the Rodeo set up is probably not what you really want. It will give you 6" of lift and you will not be able to bring the front up with cheap parts. Also, the higher you go, the more it costs.

But with the S10 springs, you will get 3.5" of lift with the following procedure. Jack the Jeep up. support it and remove the rear wheels. Support the rear axle with a floor jack. Remove the nuts on the U bolts. Let the axle drop to the limit of the brake line. Pry open the spring clips and remove the nut on the center bolt. Remove the bottom three leaves of the XJ spring and leave the main leaf in. Take the S10 spring apart and save the parts of the spring clip. Using a new 5/16" center bolt, about 6" long line up the bottom three leaves of the new spring under the XJ main. Using C clamps compress the new leaves while tightening the center bolt. When the spring is fully compressed, re attach the axel to the new bastard spring. Then you will need to get longer shocks and install them

olds-cool
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
This Link (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/budget-builds-what-junkyard-parts-will-fit-xj-847303/) has always been helpful in determining what cheap junkyard parts can be used to mod your XJ.

kph03281983
01-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Thank you guys for the reply back. I love this forum lol. Looks like i will be getting some s10 leafs and some grand cherokee front springs. When i do the change overs i need new shock right?

TimmyTXJ
01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Kevin, the Rodeo set up is probably not what you really want. It will give you 6" of lift and you will not be able to bring the front up with cheap parts. Also, the higher you go, the more it costs.

But with the S10 springs, you will get 3.5" of lift with the following procedure. Jack the Jeep up. support it and remove the rear wheels. Support the rear axle with a floor jack. Remove the nuts on the U bolts. Let the axle drop to the limit of the brake line. Pry open the spring clips and remove the nut on the center bolt. Remove the bottom three leaves of the XJ spring and leave the main leaf in. Take the S10 spring apart and save the parts of the spring clip. Using a new 5/16" center bolt, about 6" long line up the bottom three leaves of the new spring under the XJ main. Using C clamps compress the new leaves while tightening the center bolt. When the spring is fully compressed, re attach the axel to the new bastard spring. Then you will need to get longer shocks and install them

Steve, great info! Do the S10 leafs have the same spring rate as the Cherokee? I thought about doing this myself before I decided to go with completely new spring packs. Do the S10 leafs have an advantage over just using a leaf from another Cherokee spring pack?

xj4life2
01-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Steve, great info! Do the S10 leafs have the same spring rate as the Cherokee? I thought about doing this myself before I decided to go with completely new spring packs. Do the S10 leafs have an advantage over just using a leaf from another Cherokee spring pack?

The s10 spring are a little harsher than the XJ springs but not enough that you can't live with them. I have done a few of them and hey always work out fine. The only advantage I can see so far is the amount of them you can fins in any wrecking yard. Useing another leaf from a XJ will work but wont give you the amount of lift your looking for. Remember you are useing the entire s10 pack and the XJ main. If you just want to add 1" or so any sprinf of the same size can be laminated in to give you that.

kph03281983 do not forget you will need the 2" pucks Steve mentioned to get the full amount of lift your looking for.Also while your at the Grand grab the drag link / tie rod set up. Its a nice heavier set up.

4.3LXJ
01-28-2013, 11:40 AM

The spring rate is a little difficult, since the XJ spring is a single stage spring (one constant rate) and the S10 has a multistage spring (rate increases with compression) But ultimately the Bastard pack is about the same ride with a little more load capacity if that answers your question

4.3LXJ
01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
The s10 spring are a little harsher than the XJ springs but not enough that you can't live with them. I have done a few of them and hey always work out fine. The only advantage I can see so far is the amount of them you can fins in any wrecking yard. Useing another leaf from a XJ will work but wont give you the amount of lift your looking for. Remember you are useing the entire s10 pack and the XJ main. If you just want to add 1" or so any sprinf of the same size can be laminated in to give you that.

kph03281983 do not forget you will need the 2" pucks Steve mentioned to get the full amount of lift your looking for.Also while your at the Grand grab the drag link / tie rod set up. Its a nice heavier set up.

If you use the entire pack, by cutting off the eyes of the main leaf, then yes the ride is harsher. But by omitting the top leaf, the ride is decent and gives the target 3.5"