PDA

View Full Version : Throwing misfire codes

XJ4X4JEEP
01-23-2013, 04:55 PM
I have a 2000 xj. I had a code several codes pop up today on the freeway. When I got on the throddle I had no RPM response and the check engine light came on. I had to shut my jeep off and start back up. Engine light stayed on and I was able to drive. The codes read I was misfiring in several cylinders. I pulled off the coil pack and noticed that I had no bolts holding it in place. Could this cause misfires? My plugs looked a little worn but normal. I dont know where to start, could someone guide me because I am broke due to a divorce and need this thing to run right. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Oh and btw, I love my jeep. hahaha Oh and btw I read the bolts were 8mm x 1.25 but dont know how long to get or where to get them. I am for sure very new to this.

4.3LXJ
01-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I would start with the bolts for sure and check connections, all of which costs nothing

XJ4X4JEEP
01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Does anyone know the length of the bolts to purchase? I dont want to get them too long. I cant find any on the internet and always try to avoid the expensive dealership.

nickxj94
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know the length of the bolts to purchase? I dont want to get them too long. I cant find any on the internet and always try to avoid the expensive dealership.

I think mine were atleast 4 inches I can't remember it's been a year since I changed the plugs and coil pack on mine, what are the codes?

XJ Wheeler
01-24-2013, 03:46 AM
Stick something like a small rod or anything that will fit really into the mounting hole until it bottoms out. Mark where the opening is on the rod and remove the rod. Measure the distance from the opening to the end of the rod and add the thickness of the coil pack mounting bracket. Bam, you've got your distance. And i would suggest getting bolts slightly shorter so they don't bottom out, just in case.

XJ4X4JEEP
02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
So 1 damn 40 dollar TPS sensor caused all the havoc. All codes cleared after that was replaced. Thanks for the suggestions though.