PDA

View Full Version : What is this leak?

dagod16
01-23-2013, 07:24 AM
This is dripping very slowly from in front of the tire. It drips from the frame rail but it's not coming from the frame rail. Its not green in color, it's clear and very thick clean grease. Any thoughts? It's coming from some place.

dagod16
01-23-2013, 09:09 AM
I forgot to add pics, oops

denverd1
01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
looks like coolant although you said its not green... notice any particular odor?

pop the hood and have a look around the radiator.

4.3LXJ
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Looks green to me. Check for coolant leaks

xj4life2
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Thats coolant mixed with grease and road dirt ect ect . Check water level and then look for leak I would guess lower rad hose or posably freeze plug.

dagod16
01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
I had the radiator replace one week ago. Is it possible the liquid could be running all the way back from the front? But the drip was doing it for a while now?

Ok I went out to the garage and I took my finger and just rubbed it all in it. It is very thick, clear and if it was any thicker I would call it vasaline. I would say it's just standard grease for lubricating something. But what the heck needs standard grease? Hmmmm

prerunner1982
01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
On your finger there may not be enough of it to get the color, but looking at the pictures it is green. Maybe catch it in a Solo cup and once you get enough of it you will be able to see if it is green or clear since the inside of the cup is white.

Why did you have the radiator replaced? leak?

I am not sure if it was currently leaking how it would run the frame rail that far back without you seeing it in the front too. If it was leaking while driving it would be spraying everywhere, not right in a hole in the "frame".

Wouldn't hurt to start it up and check for leaks, likely from the lower radiator hose.

Good luck, let us know what you find. If it it not coolant I am interested to know what it is.

NW99XJ
01-23-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm 98.7% sure its Paranormal Ectoplasmic Protoplasm.....you sir, have a haunted Jeep.
Do not hesitate, immediately call The Ghost busters and ask for Venkman..... He'll know what to do.
Until such time as their team arrives, I would not taunt the Jeep, nor perform any sort of rituals or seances anywhere near the vehicle.
Good Luck Man!

Metlic53
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Thats leak has made its way pretty far from the front

prerunner1982
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Thats leak has made its way pretty far from the front

Right. you would think it would drip elsewhere on it's way that far back.

dagod16
01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
I think the frame rail it's dripping off is giving it the green color. But on the floor it's very clear.

dagod16
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
IT could be ectoplasm, so funny.

Well the radiator has been leaking for 11 years and I put this stop leak stuff in it and finally it formed a second leak and adding sealant to the radiator would not fix the issue and I was worried I would be stuck somewhere with my two kids and no help. So I had the radiator changed and the muffler changed. 185 K on both.

I swear it's not green or coolant. Hmmmmm

prerunner1982
01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Maybe try flushing the "frame" with water and see if you can wash it all out.

denverd1
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
run over any zombies?

4.3LXJ
01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Could be green Vulcan blood too you know

4x4Dalton
01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Coulda hit Swamp Thing :D

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

xj4life2
01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Seeing the area he is in I think we may have our first XJ talk Big Foot hit and run

Brasscatz
01-23-2013, 07:28 PM
This may sound weird, but I suppose it's possible. could it be leaking from inside the Jeep? Like, going through a drain plug in the floor, running down the rail and on the floor?

cpttuna
01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
I love this site

gary63
01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
check your brake fluid you may have a small leak and that would look clear but have a green tint.if it is old or it pick up dirt from the frame it will feel thick.

KH96XJ
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
check your brake fluid you may have a small leak and that would look clear but have a green tint.if it is old or it pick up dirt from the frame it will feel thick.

Now that is an interesting theory.

I'm still leaning towards the Paranormal Ectoplasmic Protoplasm though. It isn't green enough to be Vulcan blood and if he had hit swamp thing I think there would have been moss and algae hanging from the under carriage.

XJ Wheeler
01-24-2013, 03:01 AM
Both the fuel and brake lines run just above that. Does it have an odor? If not, that takes fuel out of the line up. Definitely check the brake fluid. Clean the area so you can see a path when it happens again. It really does look green, but i believe you that its not. Getting some accumulated in a cup isn't a bad idea, it would give you a better idea of what it is and could show someone else.

Pookapotamus
01-24-2013, 08:56 AM
the only thing with fluid in it in that area is the gas and brake lines, I thought possibly it was wiper fluid for the hatch but i am sure they ran that down the pass side. it could be the gas return line that has plugged then jelled up some how and is now leaking (if they have that on your year of jeep). even possibly thought that when they changed your rad they let the coolant spill everywhere and some got into your frame and over the last week has made it to the leaf spring. (although that seems unlikely) other than that have you spilled a mountain dew in your back seat and its slowly making its way out?

what does this fluid smell like? taste like?? is the jeep a manual? could be that the clutch is leaking inside the firewall and running back to that area?

pook

oh just had another thought, do you keep a spare bottle of oil in the back? or anywhere that it could leak into the frame? some motor oils will fluoresce green in certain conditions, the flash of the camera could have made it look green.

dagod16
01-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Can brake fluid thicken up once outside the line? Hmmm. I might be that. Let me think and smell it some more. Hmmmmm

NW99XJ
01-25-2013, 08:55 AM
So it looks like you're going to need to go to the parts store, and start opening bottles of different fluids, until you find the one that tastes.,...i mean, smells like the fluid you're dealing with.....then you'll know where to start looking for the source.

On a side note, start regularly checking all your fluids....and take note if your coolant is low, or you notice your brake fluid reservoir getting low.

4.3LXJ
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
So it looks like you're going to need to go to the parts store, and start opening bottles of different fluids, until you find the one that tastes.,...i mean, smells like the fluid you're dealing with.....then you'll know where to start looking for the source.

Josh, you are going to get him high :D

xj4life2
01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Never thought of brake fluid , hmmmm Yes it can thicken up especially in the cold ya'll are getting back on east coast. Check the reservoirs are ya low ?? Clutch or brake cylinder (if you have a clutch) .

gary63
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
will it looks like grease or brake fluid gas would have a stroght smell and coolent would be darker green anless they spelled some on and into the frame but it should be dripping from other spots between the front and were it is at.Grease you would think it would be all other becouse the deff. or the trans. manule would through it all over.as for something leaking from inside look inside and pull the pad if you have one and look.

01xjcny
01-25-2013, 11:18 AM
if that was brake fluid that would not be a small leak you would already lost brake pedal it would go straight to the floor

dagod16
01-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Well it's not gas. It might be brake fluid but I am now low in the reservior. Hmmmm

Maybe it's exwife goo

01xjcny
01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
with the amount on the ground you reservoir would be empty and you would have not pedal

4.3LXJ
01-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Blame everything on the EX

dagod16
01-26-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm pretty sure it's break fluid. I wonder what it's leaking from. Brake line I am guessing.

gary63
01-26-2013, 08:13 AM
will brake fluid and trans fluid will spred out and the ground 1 little drop will look like 6drop.

dagod16
01-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I think I will take it into the shop this week and have them take a look.

You guys are going to think I'm crazy but it smells like power steering fluid. Do I have lines that go to the back for power steering. The brake reservior and the power steering are full.

I need some positive comments, I'm put some good money into this vehicle in the last 30 days. New ring and pinion and seal, new radiator, new muffler and now this leak. Does it end? Please give me a positive comment.

Brasscatz
01-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Brake fluid and power steering fluid are surprisingly similar. If I recall correctly, back in the old days, they were interchangeable/the same thing. Stay positive, bro. These jeeps can last a very, very long time. You obviously take very good care of your Jeep and that will pay you back in the end, I promise. Is it still a constant leak? Has it slowed? Is it possible that when you had it in the shop, they played a prank and put brake fluid in there? I've heard of shops putting nuts and bolts in door panels so they rattle and you have to bring it back in.

Rayburne
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Wow please Please don't mix brake fluid or substitute power steering fluid it will cause the aluminum pistons in the rear brake cylinders to lock I up and fail plus it could do the same to the brake proportioning valve. You can only use approved for the type of vehicle's specs.
Now steering fluid isn't as critical as you will still having steering if the power assist of the steering system fails. It will be harder to steer but you will still have steering. Some vehicles use the same fluid for the steering as the transmission.
One easy way to tell if your your leak is coolant is simply taste it. Yes I said taste it ethylene glycol or coolant is really sweet both smelling when hot and sweet tasting all the time. Tasting a drop on your finger tip will not hurt you. Just don't sweeten your coffee with it.

Brasscatz
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
LOL, you might've misunderstood me. I was only saying that in the old days you could do that on some cars... not now! I remember about 15 years ago, my sister accidentally put brake fluid in her power steering pump and it completely ruined her power steering.

Rayburne
01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
No problem, a friend of mine I was stationed with in Germany added synthetic brake fluid into a brake system of an 816. 5 ton wrecker while doing a service. After he was finished working on the wrecker he took it for a test drive and crashed it when the brakes failed. When we preformed the post accident inspection we found every piece of aluminum in the system was pitted or gauled and the pistons were locked up completely.
This was the mid 80's when we first got synthetic fluid in the Air Force. The cans were even marked do not mix, but sometimes Mechanics have problems reading instructions on things we've done many times before that when a change like going from standard to synthetic you just do it and get bit in the ass. Luckily Gary wasn't hurt when he crashed. Still scary to think it could happen and I didn't say something to try to prevent it.

01xjcny
01-26-2013, 07:16 PM
they have changed coolant now so it taste bitter now harder to poison now

Rayburne
01-27-2013, 02:12 PM
One year in the 80's the grapes weren't sweet enough for some odd reason so wine makers decided to add anti freeze as a sweetener. Ops some people died from it, go figure.

dagod16
01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Well I am a bit worried that I am about to start putting a ton of money into my 2001 xj cherokee with 185K on it. I have spent about 2500 on the rear end area. The first time I had it worked on the guy didn't know what he was doing and then just a month ago I took it to a real transmission shop and it is perfect no grinding at all, runs smooth. But then the radiator went and the muffler needed to be replaced and now this leak. Which won't be much to fix I don't think.

I will take it in on Monday or tuesday for all of us and let you guys know what fluid it is. I think it's brake fluid but we shall see.

Can you think of some other repairs that might be coming down the road?

I guess I shouldn't complain about spending $1500 this year on repairs because a new car would be 4k a year in payments.

4.3LXJ
01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
It would be a good idea to replace the crank position sensor, they can leave you stranded without warning. O2 sensor if it hasn't been done recently which is really just a tune up part everyone ignores

01xjcny
01-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Again if you can stop the jeep then it cant be brake fluid. a small leak would be something like a seeping wheel cylinder but to get a actual puddle the line would be blown and you would know it as soon as you hit the brakes and would continue to drip till the master cylinder was empty. I mean i guess i could be wrong but i live in the rust capital of the world and have seen many leaks you loose pressure right away

dagod16
01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
How long do these sensors last. I do know what they are.

Also my speed seems to be about 3 mph slower than what the speedometer is saying. Do you if this is something I can easily fix to get the correct speed. How do I know it is slower than what it's showing? I test it with those speed sign things on the side of the road and I can hold it right at 60 and it is only 57 sometimes 56 and not a single car is around but me. Plus my gps also says its at a slower speed. Any thoughts. I will have the drip checked out tomorrow.

4.3LXJ
01-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Speedometers are corrected by changing the speedo gear. In your case, you can get a gear that is one tooth less than what you have. O2 sensors should be changed when you tune the engine as part of the tune up. Crank position sensors can last a long time, but I would change it every 100K

Brasscatz
01-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Another question is have you put new tires on it? Maybe slightly different size than stock? That can affect your speedo by a few mph as well

dagod16
01-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Someone else on a different website said the same thing about the tires. I have put on four sets of tires, and the tires I have on now really suck. I am not happy with them. What is the stock tire size for my xj? I just checked and currently I have 225/70 R16. What am I supposed to have.hmmmmm Is this in the manual. I have horrible japan made tires on my jeep right now and I will not do that again. I see a lot of these cool man looking tires on these other peoples vehicle with the white lettering on the outside. Where do I get those because I will need new tires in a year.

Thanks

Brasscatz
01-28-2013, 07:28 AM
My stock tires are 235/75/15. They are goodyear wrangler duratracs and they have white lettering but I have the white lettering on the inside. Really great tires and you can get them at discount tire

dagod16
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Hmmm. I thought I had stock tires on mine. Is it bad that I have 16 instead of 15. Will it say in the manual what size tires I should have.

Ok this morning I took it to my local shop and he said it might be a grease plug. I did notice it seems to be coming from what he called a plug. Can someone please explain what a grease plug does? Tom I am dropping it off and he will figure out what it is for sure.

Thanks

Brasscatz
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Hmmm. I thought I had stock tires on mine. Is it bad that I have 16 instead of 15. Will it say in the manual what size tires I should have.

Ok this morning I took it to my local shop and he said it might be a grease plug. I did notice it seems to be coming from what he called a plug. Can someone please explain what a grease plug does? Tom I am dropping it off and he will figure out what it is for sure.

Thanks

It's not bad at all that you have 16 inch wheels instead of 15, 16 is probably better since tires are getting more expensive for 15 inch wheels. Your tires may be stock size, I don't know what all sizes came on all years and trim levels. I don't think your manual will say, but it might be worth a look. Not sure on the grease plug thing though.

denverd1
01-29-2013, 08:51 AM
either 235 or 225 should be stock. yea, i wouldn't worry about having 16s either. Tires are getting easier to find in bigger rim sizes. Got 16s on mine too.

dagod16
01-30-2013, 07:07 AM
My shop guy said that it wasn't a break leak or a gas line leak and no grease plug. He thinks I drove through some goo or was attacked by ghosts who left some residue. I will keep track of it over the net week or so and get a sample of the goo.

XJ Wheeler
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Have you cleaned it off? If not, do so and see if it forms again.

xj4life2
01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
So were back to the ectoplasm???

4.3LXJ
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Better hire a ghost buster next

NW99XJ
01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
ha ha! I CALLED IT!
See?!?!?...... I TOLD YOU I was 98.7% sure its Paranormal Ectoplasmic Protoplasm!
I know ectoplasm when I see it!

gary63
01-30-2013, 02:37 PM
you were also the one who wanted him to taste it and go to the part store and taste other things.:frog:

Rayburne
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Hope you leak of the green stuff is cured.