PDA

View Full Version : In search of 4.0

Irvan105
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Ok guys i have posted before but still new to the forum and couldnt find anything on this particular subject, but also not saying its not there i could have very well just overlooked it. Ok so i got a 94 cherokee country its been wrecked and no motor. Its plans are to be a weekend runner and trail toy. I will post specifics on everything in another post, but my concern now is getting the motor in it so can proceed with everything. What should i be looking for and how to know if getting what i need for a good price or if im looking at a junk motor and not sure what all to get that im missing. Im not a really motor head but learn very well and would love to do alot of learning on this jeep! Any hints tips suggestions etc etc. Thanks so much in advance

LizardRunner
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
The 94 is OBDI so if you don't want to move into all the OBDII gear you would want to stick with a motor up through 96. As an alternative, you could go with a small V6 or V8. If you don't have a book from chiltons/hayes etc. get one and read through it before making any engine decisions, simply because knowlege is good to have when starting from an empty engine bay.

Irvan105
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
sorry for noob questin but what is OBDI

LizardRunner
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
The Computer system, which controls ignition, fuel mix, spark retard, and on and on. Pre 96 models use On Board Diagnistics I and everything after 6/96 use OBD II computer systems. OBD II gives more and better information in codes while OBD I gives fewer codes

Irvan105
01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Im trying to configure my worst case scenario and i buy a motor and something is wrong with it. Not much of a mechanic so you guys gonna have to help me with symptoms and what not, but just for throwing it out, are these type kits worth anything?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1995-Jeep-4-0L-L6-VIN-S-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-EK1125-/160912555417?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item257722bd99&vxp=mtr

Cheromaniac
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Ok so i got a 94 cherokee country its been wrecked and no motor. Its plans are to be a weekend runner and trail toy. I will post specifics on everything in another post, but my concern now is getting the motor in it so can proceed with everything. What should i be looking for and how to know if getting what i need for a good price or if im looking at a junk motor and not sure what all to get that im missing.

Sounds like your best option is to find a decent running '91-'99 junkyard motor (just the long block) from another XJ and swap it in. You can bolt on all of your existing ancillaries so it'll be plug n' play.
I wouldn't rush into buying a rebuild kit without having the motor first, and it sounds like you'll be doing a low mileage on it anyway so you can avoid an expensive rebuild if you find a good motor in the first place. It isn't hard to find one and things to check are:

1. Remove oil filler cap and look under valve cover for sludgy deposits.
2. Pull dipstick and check the condition of the oil.

The first two will tell you if the PO changed the oil regularly or not.

3. Look for any obvious external defects.
4. Turn crank over with a socket wrench and see if it spins easily. If it's seized, walk away.

Irvan105
01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
thanks guys, i think ive found one and hopefully will get a video soon of it running then should be going to pick it up monday for 200$ i think thats a pretty good deal. Mileage is unknown for sure but between 150 and 200k. I wasnt gonna go ahead and buy kit just yet just kinda getting options in case of soemthing i miss. I plan to start a build thread this weekend and hopefully get a bunch of help becase im going to need it. Ive got it lined up with shop and hopefully can find somewhere to mount my winch or get the tractor and push it and then start stripping cleaning etc etc. TONS OF PICS will b coming. Thanks so much for your input guys