PDA

View Full Version : xjtalk is much more than just another Jeep Forum!

Mudderoy
01-15-2013, 08:52 AM

A bit of history...

xjtalk.com was conceived not because the Internet needed another Jeep site, or specifically a Jeep Cherokee site. NAXJA.org, CherokeeForum.com, CherokeeTalk.com (and more) all filled that bill nicely. There was one thing that the creator of xjtalk saw time and time again. Disrespect shown to people posting on forums.

Something didn't make much sense. Why would a forum, who's very existence depends on posts, allow members to attack one another. I mean if you are a Jerry Springer fan, I guess that dysfunctional behavior can be entertaining, however if you are like me, you'd like to just ask your question, post your accomplishment and get an honest answer or feedback.

So bravely with little chance of success xjtalk.com was started. It was started to be a friendly place Jeepers could come and feel comfortable expressing themselves. No long list of oppressive rules, or moderators that ruled with an iron fist.

Moderators would be here to help, and that includes searching FOR YOU and providing you the answer, the link and how they searched. Why? Not because we're telling you to search but we're telling you how we searched in case you want a faster answer next time.

You know its the same thing about teaching to fish, or giving the fish?

As xjtalk.com grew we branched out into the social media spaces. Facebook, twitter, Google Plus. It's not that we were all excited about moving from a forum to a social media avenue, but more of a way to let the people of the world know about xjtalk.com.

I think we have failed to advertise what we have here. Not our members or vendors. They "tell" people all the time to try xjtalk.com. Friendly people, friendly atmosphere. It's been a failure on the management of xjtalk.com to advertise what we have. Well we're going to change that, and it's starting with this post.

xjtalk.com is approaching the four year in service mark. In March. In those four years we have started a podcast and even another Jeep site, WranglerTalk.com.

Many of you know that some of your other favorite Jeep sites have been sold and seemingly not to Jeep owners or hobbyists. Features have been removed and there seems to be a "I don't care attitude". Well xjtalk.com was approached about a year ago and we told them "we're not interested..."

They persisted, nicely, and ultimately we just stopped communicating. xjtalk.com is NOT interest in selling, mainly because the stated goal is to take all the other Jeep site members, or force those other sites to make sure their guests and members are treated with respect by their peers, and especially moderators and administrators!

No person, or organization is perfect. We screw up and we need to know it. Please feel comfortable in letting any of us know when we do. Send a Private Message to a Moderator, or Admin. In fact you can post it up for all to see. We are not interested in hiding our mistakes on xjtalk, but learning from them and becoming better at giving you the product you deserve.

:xjtalk: it's more than a forum, a social media presence, or a podcast. It's a community!

XJ Wheeler
01-15-2013, 05:01 PM
:thumbsup:

Carves
01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
............ No person, or organization is perfect. We screw up and we need to know it. Please feel comfortable in letting any of us know when we do. Send a Private Message to a Moderator, or Admin ...........

I've been taking your advice for a while ... I PM cantab and tell him hes a screwup, alllllll the time .. :D

You have a good site Mr Mudderoy ... :thumbsup:

Tis interesting to note that even with all the new members over the last 12mnths or so ... The forums havent filled with what I regard as "poor posts" ...

... apart from my own of course ... :o ... :D:D

Not only are mods and members handy with info ... but even the OP tech, help me questions, seem to have a bit of thought put into em ... compared to some of the ....

"wahhhh :sad0147: ... my jeep clunks - is it the headlights",

.... style of thing Ive noticed elsewhere.

I think a steady growth - Where new members blend in - is what you need ... rather than ... a migration of folks from other forums, bringing in some bad habits ;)

Otherwise you might find yourself and the mods getting overwhelmed.

What was that base ball movie line ??? ....

... build it and they will come ... ;)

Dredwolf
01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
a migration of folks from other forums, bringing in some bad habits ;)

I really, really REALLY hope we avoid that.

Sometimes, I check a few of the other forums...and read a few posts, and realize that most apparently go down a hopeless path....to Warn winches as the only solution, D60's as the smallest axle you would ever want, the turn signal lever should be 1.5" DOM minimum (TUBE AND BOATSIDE EVERYTHING!!!), Atlas is the only transfer case, and your rig should have a minimum of $50K tied up in it.

:P

cantab27
01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
I really, really REALLY hope we avoid that.

Sometimes, I check a few of the other forums...and read a few posts, and realize that most apparently go down a hopeless path....to Warn winches as the only solution, D60's as the smallest axle you would ever want, the turn signal lever should be 1.5" DOM minimum (TUBE AND BOATSIDE EVERYTHING!!!), Atlas is the only transfer case, and your rig should have a minimum of $50K tied up in it.

:P

wont happen wont let it..if i or any mods miss something flick us a pm ....think ive only use my mod power thingy a couple of times for post...and think that was a couple of jokes gone bad and a post....oh and one time in the babe thread had to remove pics of nude boobie.... i nearly got banned for that....:smiley-laughing021:

denverd1
01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
wont happen wont let it..if i or any mods miss something flick us a pm ....think ive only use my mod power thingy a couple of times for post...and think that was a couple of jokes gone bad and a post....oh and one time in the babe thread had to remove pics of nude boobie.... i nearly got banned for that....:smiley-laughing021:

:modpower: FTW!! Keep up the GREAT work everyone!!

Wayne, send me the boobie :D!!

4.3LXJ
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
....oh and one time in the babe thread had to remove pics of nude boobie.... i nearly got banned for that....:smiley-laughing021:

I removed a bunch you didn't get to see Wayne. :P

LizardRunner
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
The attitude and helpfulness are what brought me here and why this is still the only site I come to as much as I can and I've been here a while now. XJT is also the only site I tell others about.

EekGirl96
01-16-2013, 01:57 PM
This is BY FAR the best forum out there(in my opinion ofcourse). Your not judged, your not called stupid because you have an opinion(even if its wrong), your treated with respect no matter what. I love the fact that this forum feels like a family, everyone knows eachother and takes care of eachother, even if its a newbie. This is pretty much the only forum that I frequent on a daily basis, even when im on my phone lol.

Mudderoy
01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
This is BY FAR the best forum out there(in my opinion ofcourse). Your not judged, your not called stupid because you have an opinion(even if its wrong), your treated with respect no matter what. I love the fact that this forum feels like a family, everyone knows eachother and takes care of eachother, even if its a newbie. This is pretty much the only forum that I frequent on a daily basis, even when im on my phone lol.

Part of the "family" atmosphere was brought here by rguignard(sp?), Rene! He loves calling people by their first name. He recommended we make the first names visible, we made that change and here we are today.

Sadly Rene is no long with us. Only the memory of his "crocks" remain.

XJ Wheeler
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
When someone comes on Xjtalk they are treated like a person, not merely a name on a screen. It becomes obvious, even to new members, that there's something that sets this place apart from all the other "forums". It has an atmosphere that reflects morals and principles.

Its members have gained an enormous amount of respect from me throughout my 15 months I've been a part of this site. I've been helped through problems, both mechanical and personal. Saw many come with here with dilemmas, some the same as the thread before it, and get pages of help. I've also made several friends on here, and would certainly refer to signing on to Xjtalk, the same as walking into a room full of friends.

I do (sometimes shamefully) still go on cf a little, not much, by any means. But, its only to update/reply on my old threads, or lend a helping thought of advice to a fellow jeeper. I have, like many, had my tribulations on that forum, all to never have been handled by any higher authority. One of my friends from over there just signed off for their last time due to some horrible and very hurtful comments made to her. A mod was even in the conversation and did nada. So, for the "other" forums that treat/neglect their members like that. I say good riddens. And unfortunately sites like that give a bad name to all, most likely some have abandoned forums all together due to this.

Mudderoy
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I want to make it clear that none of you should feel bad, or apologize about visiting "other" forums. There is something on every forum that is unique and good. We certainly are not going to look down on you for visiting another site.

Hell if you see something on another site, feel free to post about it here.

I have always maintained that if another forum is doing a better job than xjtalk then that's where you should be.

NW99XJ
01-16-2013, 03:55 PM
After reading all these posts, and the warm & fuzzy feeling subsided, I felt it necessary to chime in and add my feelings to this.
I am beyond proud to be apart of this site, even more so part of the podcast.
I cant express enough my gratitude to Tony for bringing me in on that side of things.
I've enjoyed every single interaction with other members, and users here.
And I look forward to every opportunity to help others that are in a place I once was....new, uncertain, and longing for direction, advice, and education.
(without ridicule, sarcasm, or judgement.)
XJTalk.com was not my first Jeep site....but it has grown to be my favorite.
Every week I find myself looking forward to the future of the site AND the podcast.
Thank you to all who help, and who have helped, make this place what it is.
:thumbsup:HERE'S TO THE FUTURE!:drinking:

XJ Wheeler
01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I want to make it clear that none of you should feel bad, or apologize about visiting "other" forums. There is something on every forum that is unique and good. We certainly are not going to look down on you for visiting another site.

Hell if you see something on another site, feel free to post about it here.

I have always maintained that if another forum is doing a better job than xjtalk then that's where you should be.

You only say that cause you've made it near impossible for anyone to have a better site.

cantab27
01-16-2013, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=NW99XJ;138655]

shit my days here may be numbered then.....:D

4x4Dalton
01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=NW99XJ;138655]

shit my days here may be numbered then.....:D

Lol ya won't supposed to find out Wayne :D

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

OrangeXJ
01-16-2013, 05:31 PM
I like the site because of the people that are on it.I don't have a xj now but they still let me play :D

Brasscatz
01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
I feel like posting a video of the Barney song "I love you, you love me" rofl!!! On a serious note, I found Cherokeeforum first. I joined, and like pretty much everybody else, got sick of the poor treatment of the members and myself. We all know what that entails. I had found xjtalk.com about midway through my short tenure at CF, and for whatever reason that I cannot remember for sure, I thought xjtalk was a site you had to pay to be a part of. I can't for the life of me find what made me think that at the time (I don't do drugs, so who knows what gave me that idea ;)).

A little while later, I checked out the site again, and didn't see what I had before. I joined up right then! I came in with my guards up, as I'm sure most people do, but I'll tell you that it didn't take long after my welcome thread that my guard came down! I've shared more on this site than any others before, learned more than ever before, and it's a part of my daily routine that I don't think will go away anytime soon. Just the other day, I talked to my wife about it. I said, "I know you've never mentioned this, but I know you are aware of how much time I spend on xjtalk. Haven't you wondered about that?" She replied that she noticed but she felt there was a reason and therefore didn't say anything about it. The reason, my friends, is that since I moved to Houston in 2007 I don't really have many friends. None that are CLOSE friends and only a handful that I consider friends. THIS is where my close friends are. That may sound weird, but it's true. I like how I can pop on here and talk with people and it doesn't have to be Jeep related, I can give other members a hard time and they know I'm joking with them, they give me a hard time and I know they're joking with me.

We've got members from all corners of the globe and we all share a love for Jeeps. We all share a desire to be accepted without ridicule. We all value the opinions of the fellow members, well most of them ;) j/k. We all love this site and what it stands for.

Oh, and nobody has really told me what happened with Rene... He was such a big part of this place and poof? Gone?

Mudderoy
01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Hey I love the compliments but really this is a community effort. All the mods, the admins, and the members. I just had the idea and keeping my one main rule true.

So compliments to all of you!

XJ Wheeler
01-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Someone mention Barney?

Barney - I Love You - YouTube

:rofl:

EekGirl96
01-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I like the site because of the people that are on it.I don't have a xj now but they still let me play :D

Exactly! On one of my local forums that I was admin on they kicked me off cuz I don't have my XJ anymore. They did however say that as soon as I get another one I can have my spot back.....screw that!:mad:

Mudderoy
01-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Exactly! On one of my local forums that I was admin on they kicked me off cuz I don't have my XJ anymore. They did however say that as soon as I get another one I can have my spot back.....screw that!:mad:

:wow: Welcome to the community until you're not.

EekGirl96
01-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Lol exactly Tony

cantab27
01-18-2013, 07:26 PM

this is a xj site........wow i better buy one then....:rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
01-18-2013, 07:32 PM
We allow an occasional Barbie Jeep. Maybe Amber can get a Ken Jeep too

Brasscatz
01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
We allow an occasional Barbie Jeep. Maybe Amber can get a Ken Jeep too

She already has one in the form of a Waggy ;)

4.3LXJ
01-18-2013, 08:49 PM
I was thinking Wayne should paint his pink so Amber could have some other manly color :D

EekGirl96
01-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah wayne do pink, ill do a manly camo color on my Wagoneer....aw it can be like a yin and yang thing :)

cantab27
01-18-2013, 09:47 PM
no pink would clash with baby blues ..

4x4Dalton
01-18-2013, 10:02 PM
no pink would clash with baby blues ..

Just do a pink and blue camo since Amber is doin the Manly camo :D

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

oderdene
01-19-2013, 06:06 AM

2X

yes, xjtalk is family, we all made it. BEST FAMILY for all who have, had, hadn't and interest (love) XJ