PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension pick me up

Splatterific
01-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I know no one quants to here it but I'm not looking to lift my jeep :(. I live on Long Island and there is no need here. The damn things laughs at the beach stock. So, I might as well enjoy the ride. Problem is its got the jeep sag syndrome and was torn between a way to get get her up again. Was thinking add a leaf or lifted shackles 1.5 should do it. Add a leafs I imagine will stiffin the ride I think. Shackles I don't see a down side. Could be wrong wouldn't be the first time. Lol. Any pros and cons to either thought. Thanks. Jeeps rock

Sneedle Vision
01-12-2013, 03:59 PM
If it were me, I would look at replacing the leaf springs before I add a shackle.

More specifically, Old Man Emu replacement leaf springs. Depending on how much weight your XJ carries, you can get light, medium, or heavy load.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5055.htm (I'm sure there are cheaper places, but I knew they would have a description.)

This costs more than shackles, but it fixes the part that is worn out. Just my $.02!

Carves
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM
X 2 on a new leaf pack.

A short thick AAL is a load carrying add-on ... causing harsh ride empty ... and longer shackles will generally make weak, flat springs worse.

4.3LXJ
01-12-2013, 04:47 PM
You said it Carves. Extended shackles on a weak spring will make it worse quickly

Splatterific
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Kinda figured the easy way out is the wrong way. I'll start looking into leaf springs.

Carves
01-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Kinda figured the easy way out is the wrong way. I'll start looking into leaf springs.

Yeah ... its a shame that what looks like the easy way out - is also the cheapest ... in the short term ;);)

The ARB leaf packs are s'posed to be good ... Lots down here are happy with them.