PDA

View Full Version : Soooo Happy:D

95xj
01-07-2013, 05:23 PM
My brother got me a new engine with 89k on it, mine just hit 213k, I think i wanna put a mild cam in it and a 220 watt alternator, cause i just got 4 kc daylighters and a cb radio and i already killed my stock alternator with my subs lol, anyone know were i can get a 220w alternator?? And any suggestions on anything else i should do the the new engine??:confused:
I might throw a snorkle on too!:D

Thanksss!!!

denverd1
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
balmar makes some heavy duty alts. not sure if they do for an XJ but check with 'em

4.3LXJ
01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
My brother got me a new engine with 89k on it, mine just hit 213k, I think i wanna put a mild cam in it and a 220 watt alternator, cause i just got 4 kc daylighters and a cb radio and i already killed my stock alternator with my subs lol, anyone know were i can get a 220w alternator?? And any suggestions on anything else i should do the the new engine??:confused:
I might throw a snorkle on too!:D

Thanksss!!!

Check Power Master. Not cheap, but good stuff. I PMed them for one to fit my application and they responded with the exact part number. Then get it from Summit Racing. Good prices and excellent service

95xj
01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
ok thanks guys gonna check em out now

budgetxjmcknight
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Amperage is what you need to look for. I do electrical work but it all holds the same value with jeeps. you have to rate wire size fuses and the initial amp of what you are going to run. Add the watts for your aftermarket acc. and divide it by the voltage, 14.5 for example with the jeep running that gives you the amps. don't know what the factory amps are on the alt. but im sure you could find out easy. then add factory amps to your calculation and that will tell you what kind of aftermarket one to look for.:D

bluedragon436
01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm planning on running the V8 ZJ alt on my XJ, from what I've read online folks have been using it no problems with winches, lights and even a system... I guess it also depends on how large and draining your system is as well, that you might need an even larger alt. Have you upgraded your battery to a better battery that will handle the strain/drain of your soon to be setup??

thesupercroc
01-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I you want a real alt here you go Real alt (http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Truck-Tough-Alternators-Jeep-Alternators-p-29935.html) but if you are wanting to spend that much the ZJ alt upgrade is the way to go!

budgetxjmcknight
01-07-2013, 06:04 PM
My wife has a zj and i put in a system. its not much only a 600 watt amp max but it runs around 250-300 average. Had to replace the altenater while back on it but probly cuz it was just worn out, however at nite the lights tend to dim a bit when the radio is turned up a bit, best fix is to get a cap for the amp, but if its bogging out with that as the only acc. i don't know about lights and a winch and all the bells and whisles how it would be. guess getting my amp meter and checking mine vs hers at normal levels could give us all a lil more insite....

Pookapotamus
01-07-2013, 06:28 PM
I you want a real alt here you go Real alt (http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Truck-Tough-Alternators-Jeep-Alternators-p-29935.html) but if you are wanting to spend that much the ZJ alt upgrade is the way to go!

Pook Like!

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2013, 12:33 AM
If your upgrading your alternator, and are drawing a fair amount, its a good idea to upgrade the cables too. Upgraded battery and alternator doesn't do as much when it has to travel through factory wiring.

budgetxjmcknight
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
I agree with that totally. I have actually ran extra grounds in mine to the block and chassis.