PDA

View Full Version : Fire under hood

az350x
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Junior had the hood insulation blanket smoldering and almost on fire the other day- just forward of intake, directly above PS pump and steering box. I can't think of anything in that area that might be hot enough to cause this. Has anyone seen this? We do have a pretty leaky PS hose (changing it today), but I can't even imagine PS fluid being hot enough during city driving to cause this...

Mudderoy
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Junior had the hood insulation blanket smoldering and almost on fire the other day- just forward of intake, directly above PS pump and steering box. I can't think of anything in that area that might be hot enough to cause this. Has anyone seen this? We do have a pretty leaky PS hose (changing it today), but I can't even imagine PS fluid being hot enough during city driving to cause this...

Is it possible that it was hanging down and making contact with the belt?

nickxj94
01-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Power steering fluid can get hot enough plus if hit was dripping on the manifold it could light up... transmission fluid or brake fluid will too.. my old 83 Chevy blew a trans line and caught on fire burning the wire harness..

az350x
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Well, I think the PS leak was the deal. That's fixed now, plus we decreased the motor, and all looks well. We'll see!

Thanks for the replies!

az350x
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Oops- deGreased. Ugh.