PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjustment

Sneedle Vision
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
After driving around last night, I think my headlights need to be adjusted. They provide plenty of light but I think that after the lift and tires they are just too high.

I know you're supposed to aim at a wall and adjust the beams accordingly, but I didn't know if there was a handy guide or rule of thumb to use for finding the proper height for lifted vehicles. :confused:

Any tips?

4.3LXJ
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Sure Kurt, I have done this plenty of times. Access your adjustment screws. You will want the one on the bottom. Give them each a couple of turns and shine the lights down an empty space. If the beams, including the high beam is where you want it, then go to the garage door and match them up for height.

cpttuna
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I believe a body shop has the actual adjusters. I use the garage door. I have the help of having at least 3 other XJ's around so I have an idea where I want the beam. Do you have a friend who can bring his xj over?

Sneedle Vision
01-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Well, I got it all worked out, but decided to do it a little different.

I marked it all out on the garage door and then dropped it what I thought was a fair amount. I then went out for a drive, brought my screwdriver, and would pull over and adjust as necessary. Made sure to adjust them equally too.

Eventually found a setting I liked and that seemed to work well. I came home and measured it against my tape marks just to make sure they're pretty close.

Hooray for not blinding oncoming drivers! AAANNNNDDD seeing the road even better!

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2013, 03:19 AM
Might wanna note those measurements so next time its that much easier. :thumbsup: