PDA

View Full Version : Lifted to 3" but want to go to 6" plus.

Rayburne
01-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Ok I have a 97 with a Rocky's 3" lift and will within 18 months go to a long arm set up and want a reliable set up. Are there any long arm set ups that are bolt on that are worth buying. I would go Teraflex or another weld on system but my welding sucks and I hate the thought of paying someone big bucks only to find a crappy welder has burned holes in my frame and covered it with bondo and paint or some other horror story.

Rayburne
01-07-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm hoping I can look before leaping.

Mudderoy
01-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Ok I have a 97 with a Rocky's 3" lift and will within 18 months go to a long arm set up and want a reliable set up. Are there any long arm set ups that are bolt on that are worth buying. I would go Teraflex or another weld on system but my welding sucks and I hate the thought of paying someone big bucks only to find a crappy welder has burned holes in my frame and covered it with bondo and paint or some other horror story.

Check with msmoorenburg and see what he thinks about his RC 6.5" long arm.

Personally I really like the IronMan4x4Fab.com long arms, but it's just the arms so you'll have to fab up the cross member that they attach to.

Rayburne
01-07-2013, 03:25 AM
I looked at ironman arms and was impressed, still I am hoping for a bug free kit as I tend to have way too many ops that add too much time to builds.

msmoorenburg
01-07-2013, 07:18 AM
I looked at ironman arms and was impressed, still I am hoping for a bug free kit as I tend to have way too many ops that add too much time to builds.

I've owned/own both long arm kits. If you want a 100% bolt on get the R/C kit. I'm still digging into a small rattle I have wit the R/C kit. The Ironman kit requires welding and it will take some time to setup the front diff (aka no measurements) Also you will need to come up with some transfer case protection with the Ironman kit. The biggest kicker is if you need to work on the trans (R&R) the R/C kit requires suspension removal

xjrev10
01-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Iron Rock Offroad, Rubicon Express, Clayton Offroad, just a few that sell bolt on LA kits.

4.3LXJ
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
With all of the kits, 6.5" is at the limit of the range of movement the stock steering system will accommodate. So when doing this, make sure everything, like tie rod ends and steering box adjustment are tight. When installing a kit, make sure you have the proper castor angle. That will go a long ways to making sure you are happy with your lift. Get her done Tom. Some of us will be getting together in August at Fordyce Creek for a long weekend. Be sure to join us. To get there, hang a right at Reno and go over Donnor Pass and you are there.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8241

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11074

Rayburne
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Sounds good on a get together in Aug. And thanks for the info on long arm manufacturers now I more areas to look at.

4.3LXJ
01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Looking forward to that Tom. We can swap a few stories. 6 fathom navy here :D