PDA

View Full Version : New XJ and ready to play

nvygun
01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Hello all, after crawling through endless forums for guidance and then and dealing with some frustrating people on Craigslist I finally purchased my first XJ! A 1999 Cherokee Classic with 185,000 miles on it and a blown head gasket for $900.

So now what? I retire from the Navy this year after 30 years of service and our nest empty now and we are ready to get out there and explore. My plan is to get the XJ ready for trail use and build build my own off-road teardrop trailer.

Once the jeep is good to go then I'll start on the teardrop. I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic but my knowledge is a little limited when it comes to 4WD know how. I am still figuring out what direction to go with my XJ but this is the type of setup i am looking. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/low-cog-suspension-setup-tricks-tips-revised-9-24-12-a-32980/

So here is the $900 XJ...
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1114&stc=1&d=1357519639

http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1115&stc=1&d=1357519639

http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1116&stc=1&d=1357519639

I figure a week or so to get it mechanically sound and road worthy again. But then I am at a little bit of a loss on what to start on next. I don't want to over build it but it has to strong and dependable enough for the trails. I don't think I am going to buy a "lift kit" but instead put together the various parts. I am thinking of just 2.5" or 3" and running either a 32" or 33" tire. Any thoughts?

Well, I'll just leave it there for now and see where this goes.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Troy, what part of the country you in? That will dictate to some extent how you build it. I am familiar with KTMRacer. I also know he is on his third vehicle having trashed two. These rigs don't have a frame, so you have to treat them with a little respect on the rocks.

nvygun
01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Right now I live in northern Nevada. I am a 150 miles away from Bishop, CA and 75 miles from Reno. Likely to stay in the area after I retire.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Troy, I live in northern CA. We routinely go to places like Fordyce Creek and will probably hit the Rubicon this summer. People that take these trails, which are not far from you, have taller lifts to clear granite rocks. It is advisable to have at least a 4.5" lift which is very doable on the XJ. Also around Reno there are a number of washes people wheel in that require a 4.5" lift to clear the obstacles.

nvygun
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Nice, I really would like to be out on the trails by the early spring if everything goes well. My biggest concern ATM is that I find a cracked head when I replace the gasket.

XJ Wheeler
01-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Hey troy, welcome from Texas. Good plan ya got,, feel free to start a build thread to chronicle all your efforts.

nvygun
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Managed to remove the broken grill and header panel today and thought maybe I could repair them but it seems more trouble then it s worth. So I'll be prowling through a few junk yards this weekend. If not partsgeek.com and amazon seem to have them cheap enough. Then on to the head gasket... ugh not looking forward to that job.

bluedragon436
01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Seems like a nice start and a nice plan you got going there!! I have pulled the head off a 4.0, luckily didn't have to fight with putting it back on... I definitely do not envy that part of the project.. but look forward to seeing it progress!!

denverd1
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Heads aren't complicated. Especially on these engines, with there only being one head and one gasket to contend with, makes the job a bit easier. if you have the problem head (code 0331 I think?) just pull one at the JY from a low mileage donor. make sure the surface i straight, get a new gasket and slap that puppy on. Consult a manual to check the specs on getting your rockers set just right and you're in business. You and I are odd birds out there that will buy something knowing it needs work. but hey, for 9-hundy thats a GREAT looking XJ! Nice find.

nvygun
01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
So a little break in the frigid temps here so I skipped out of work a little early today and got started on that head job lol. I managed to get the AC pump and bracket, PS pump, and fan and fan shroud out of the way today. Hope to get the intake, exhaust and water pump off tomorrow and hopefully find the casting number on the head.

nvygun
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
So record cold temperatures aren't letting me get much down on my jeep. I did manage to order the new front grill parts- to replace the ones the broken one. So I went cheap on these and ordered them from Amazon. Less then $100 for both parts. Anyone have any experience with body parts from Amazon? i'll post some pics of the parts when I get them in.

prerunner1982
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Don't forget to click the Amazon banner under the chat box on the homepage at www.xjtalk.com. It is more than just an ad, it is a program with Amazon that gives back a little bit of $$ to XJtalk.com for each purchase made through that link. NO increase in price to you..

Welcome to XJtalk.com........and welcome to our addiction. Not a bad looking rig at all for $900. Will also be interested to see the trailer when you get to that point.