PDA

View Full Version : 160,000 mile maintenance

sshec152
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
I have a 96 Cherokee, 4.0L auto. It just hit 160,000 miles and is still running strong. I know I have to change the oil but what else should be changed? (and what weights, brands, etc?)
Thank you, Steven

4.3LXJ
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Steve, it will run at least another 150K if you take care of it. Drop the pan on the tranny and change oil and filter. That tranny is almost bullet proof and will go the distance. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil in the differentials and transfer case. Probably never been changed

sshec152
01-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Steve, it will run at least another 150K if you take care of it. Drop the pan on the tranny and change oil and filter. That tranny is almost bullet proof and will go the distance. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil in the differentials and transfer case. Probably never been changed

How hard is it to do the tranny, I have a good bit of tools nd take auto tech classes but how hard would it be to do that?

gary63
01-04-2013, 07:27 AM
remove the drain plug then all of the tran. pan bolts remove pan clean the pan and any old gaskget change out filter put pan back on tork down bolts add tran.flowed 3-5qt.and check.

sshec152
01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
I was looking around nd some people said you shouldnt change it thid late if it hasnt been changed before, is this true? I have put 3k miles on it since then and I dont know what fluids have been changed beside oik.

4.3LXJ
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM
How hard is it to do the tranny, I have a good bit of tools nd take auto tech classes but how hard would it be to do that?

Not hard at all. Unfortunately, no drain plugs on the pan, so messy. Use The Right Stuff to seal it back up if you can spring for it. As far as changing tranny oil, I wouldn't listen to those folks telling you not to change it. Auto trannys need good clean oil to function properly. If it gets cooked or dirty, it looses its ability to make the clutches grab steel, and promotes slipping. That is why you change it at least every 100K

gary63
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I over do it I change it by just draining the pan every other oil change and the filter ones a year.Becouse round here we have a very fine dust that gets into everthing. and I burn the oil in a heater so I don't waist it.

thesupercroc
01-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I have a 96 Cherokee, 4.0L auto. It just hit 160,000 miles and is still running strong. I know I have to change the oil but what else should be changed? (and what weights, brands, etc?)
Thank you, Steven

Have you changer the blinker fluid ? Blinker fluid (http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22) Alot of people forget about it.

Muffler bearing should be looked but most likely will not need to be replaced just yet.

From the FSM for 120,000 Miles (192 000 km)
² Change engine oil.
² Replace engine oil filter.
² Replace engine air cleaner element.
² Replace ignition cables.
² Replace spark plugs.
² Inspect adjust drive belt, adjust tension as necessary.
² Lubricate steering linkage.
² Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid.
Replace transmission filter.
² Drain and refill transfer case fluid.
² Drain and refill front and rear axles.*
² Inspect brake linings.

If there is any you have not done all ready on the list I say would do it now.

sshec152
01-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Not hard at all. Unfortunately, no drain plugs on the pan, so messy. Use The Right Stuff to seal it back up if you can spring for it. As far as changing tranny oil, I wouldn't listen to those folks telling you not to change it. Auto trannys need good clean oil to function properly. If it gets cooked or dirty, it looses its ability to make the clutches grab steel, and promotes slipping. That is why you change it at least every 100K

Do do i have to drop the pan, and if so how much of a pain in the ass is it?

4.3LXJ
01-04-2013, 04:21 PM
remove the bolts, may need to pry a bit and splash

ParadiseXJ
01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately, no drain plugs on the pan,

My AW4's have drain plugs...my buddy's 1999 AW4 has a drain plug...I've never seen an AW4 without a drain plug.

That is why you change it at least every 100K

...or 30K...mor if you're towing or hard wheeling.

ParadiseXJ
01-16-2013, 10:27 AM
I was looking around nd some people said you shouldnt change it thid late if it hasnt been changed before, is this true? I have put 3k miles on it since then and I dont know what fluids have been changed beside oik.

You're talking about a system FLUSH, not just a drain and fill. Change it.
Most folks who do a system flush have had issues with their tranny already...that's what they are trying to fix with the flush.

If you want your XJ to last for awhile without problems it's cheap insurance to change ALL your changeable fluids. Diffs, T-case, tranny, brake system flush, power steering system flush.

If you are taking tech classes and you have some shop space and tools you can do all of this easily. I do all my work on a gravel driveway, in the rain, at night, drunk.:D

Carves
01-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Thank you, Steven

As a guide ...

Engine ... 10w/30 ... altho a lighter, or heavier oil ... can be used depending on weather requirements ... I use a minimum 15w/40

Diffs ... factory spec is 80w/90 ... or 85w/140 for heavyduty use ... You might need an additive if you have a LSD rear ... Specs say a synthetic 85/140 but I just use a plain ol dino type, LSD suitable, 85w/140 in both diffs.

Gearbox & Transfercase ... DexIII ... when you drain the gearbox - you'll only get about 1/2 out ... so it needs a coupla goes over time to freshen it up properly.

Radiator ... Change coolant as per the time limits stated on the packaging ... some mixes are good for 12mnths ... others 5yrs.

... or change it sooner - as required.

as for the blinker fluid ........ :smiley-laughing021:

ParadiseXJ
01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
as for the blinker fluid ........ :smiley-laughing021:

Nothing but the best in my rigs...full synthetic!! 1.5 million blinks is good for me since I always leave my blinker on on the freeway

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/chasdwitt/BlinkFluid.jpg