PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS and why?

Dredwolf
01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Thinking about buying a newer GPS, and would like some feedback.

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 750 that has been used a LOT, and I loaded topos on it for Utah and Arizona in 2011. I used USG Quadrangles to locate trails wheeling in my CJ years ago.....yes, I am old......er.

I am currently running the multi-hour map update process on it now.:indifferent0020:

Its not as great for following trails as one of the hand-helds, but it got the job done, it has a pedestrian, an off-road mode, and a "breadcrumb" trail that helps when off-road. I probably do need to get a hand-held GPS at some point, but we are ready to have more than one in-vehicle GPS.

The plan for 2013 is to return to Moab, and check out Colorado on the way through, and I am thinking ahead on gear.

What are your favorite GPS units and why? What do you use when exploring that trail that ends somewhere past the horizon?

4.3LXJ
01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
This is what I use.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1273.jpg

It is an app called BackCountry Navigator. Cost is $10. Maps are free. Updates are free and good support. The trail in tis pic is a place called Ishi Rd. Nice trail, lockers required to go up. Shows most gates in highest magnification. The only drawback is that you have to down load your maps before you get out of cell phone coverage. No biggie, you should be checking out where you are going anyway. If you don't get your maps, it will plot it all later when you get your maps.

Dredwolf
01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
That is worth a look, thinking about finally going to a smartphone for personal use, I am on Verizon.

I have an iPhone through work, but AT&T loses signal in areas the GPS and our Verizon phones are still working, so the few times I have tried with the iPhone have not been a screaming success.

On a funny note, I do some SAR work on occasion, and one of things we keep hearing about is hikers heading off into the wild, feeling their smartphone with all the toys is all they will need.....until the battery dies. Always pack a compass, and know the basics on how to use it.

4.3LXJ
01-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah, that is the reason I have Verizon, the coverage. Verizon gives coverage to iPhones now. Not sure if you have to use one of theirs though.

gary63
01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I have 3 gps the one I like the best so far is the garmin rino 650 got it on a good deal but I like the feater it comes with.

Dredwolf
01-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I have 3 gps the one I like the best so far is the garmin rino 650 got it on a good deal but I like the feater it comes with.

I had looked at the Rhino models before, and liked the features, but was having a difficult time justifying the price.

What all do you like about them?

Dredwolf
01-01-2013, 10:32 PM
This is what I use.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1273.jpg

It is an app called BackCountry Navigator. Cost is $10. Maps are free. Updates are free and good support. If you don't get your maps, it will plot it all later when you get your maps.

I had tried a couple of plotting apps on the iPhone, but they were more tuned to bicycles and runners. I'll give this a look, thinking about Verizon and a Droid Razr as a Smartphone.

gary63
01-01-2013, 11:12 PM
I had looked at the Rhino models before, and liked the features, but was having a difficult time justifying the price.

What all do you like about them?

you can down load or buy maps also it stan alown it gives you temp. altat. weather radio also a radio that you can talk to others or text. it will work off reg. batterys or its recharge able battery or plug it in.what i don't like price so shop around and small screen.also someone can track you if you get stuck.

LizardRunner
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Wolf and I have many Garmins; Etrex 10 for geocaching, GPSMap 62sc for wheeling/ hunting & fishing and a Nuvi 3450 for road trips. I still have to get a disc for the WJ radio/gps What I like about them is that they always work and take the abuse I tend to give them (dropping, stepping on, etc.)