PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Lift ID and Q's

Rybob
12-31-2012, 03:16 AM
Hi all,

Pretty new here, and have found myself in the ownership of 2 XJs.

The first one, blue as I call it, was bought in another county where I used to live and had no emissions required. It has a 4.5" rubicon express short arm kit and 33s with half tread. As well as some bumpers and what not I want fir the Black jeep.

The new black one is a 96 and has an unknown lift and 32s that are bald. The motor is better in this one which is why I am keeping it and selling the blue one.

To do this I need help figuring out what kind of lift this is and if my rubicon express one is worth swapping and if ill have any problems doing so :wink:

Here's the two

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/JuttsPics/XJ/f19212e899181189bb851a138ed93e21.jpg

Here's the lift in question. Thanks in advance fellas!!

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/JuttsPics/XJ/37515e8df0a3772f42b223e8e975b202.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/JuttsPics/XJ/9a7a2e6b3202b3cd82b9f5fa77010fe3.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/JuttsPics/XJ/062491fe04f3539c3343cbf0b89dd6af.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/JuttsPics/XJ/6bb2cbd00bcc1cd963969675600e05b9.jpg

az350x
12-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Hey all- you might recognize the blue xj from the "Death Wobble" thread I started a few days ago. After spending a couple days going over Rybob's "blue," we came to the realization that it just wasn't going to be a feasible daily-driver for him here in an emission-controlled location. I came across the black xj yesterday on craigslist, and helped him buy it.

So, as he mentioned above, the plan is to keep a few items off of the blue jeep by swapping them with the black one. Front bumper is one item, and some of the lift components are another.

We were told that the black one has a 4" lift- it sure doesn't look that high to me. There are no blocks in the back. Granted the fenders arent' cut (makes lift look deceiving), but any ideas what lift the black one DOES have?

If we swap the front lifts, with the sway bar and disconnects that are currently on the black one work with the lift that is on the blue one? The 2" spacers on the blue one will NOT be going on the black one, we decided.

Sorry for the confusing questions here. I guess we're basically trying to "mix and match" off of both rigs, with the black one now being the "keeper."

Thanks in advance for your help!

4.3LXJ
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Are those Edlebrock shocks on there? The grey color could be Rubicon Express springs

Rybob
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Are those Edlebrock shocks on there? The grey color could be Rubicon Express springs

The stabilizer says Edelbrock but none of the shocks do.

What are some easy ways to find the lift manufacturer? I looked briefly for logos besides "Edelbrock" but found nothing on the parts

JeepinOutfitters
12-31-2012, 01:33 PM
It's a very old Rubicon Express SuperFlex lift.

edit: looks like it's their 4.5" Superflex kit.

XJ Wheeler
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, you managed to find one with a identical lift to the blue one you have. It is as well, a 4.5" Rubicon Express short arm. I would check out all the bushings and joints on the control arms, pick out the best ones and put/keep those on the black one. Also, Rubicon had two options on the rear lift. Full leafs or add a leafs, if one has the full leafs, stick with those. Might also want to check out the shocks to see which are better. And yes, the disconnects should work fine.

az350x
12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, you managed to find one with a identical lift to the blue one you have. It is as well, a 4.5" Rubicon Express short arm. I would check out all the bushings and joints, pick out the best ones and put/keep those on the black one. Also, Rubicon had two options on the rear lift. Full leafs or add a leafs, if one has the full leafs, stick with those. Might also want to check out the shocks to see which are better. And yes, the disconnects should work fine.

WOW- that would be a relief! What are the odds, lol? I'm wondering if the black one has the rear leaf kit, because it has no blocks, and less leafs in the stack than the blue one, which also has 1" blocks...

4.3LXJ
12-31-2012, 07:24 PM
RE has had more than one spring rate. So pick the one you think rides the best.

XJ Wheeler
12-31-2012, 07:37 PM
WOW- that would be a relief! What are the odds, lol? I'm wondering if the black one has the rear leaf kit, because it has no blocks, and less leafs in the stack than the blue one, which also has 1" blocks...

If you would like you can post up a picture of each and well see if we can decifer it for ya. The full leaf packs leafs should all look nearly the same, whereas the add a leaf packs leafs will have one leaf that looks out of place.

Rybob
12-31-2012, 08:50 PM
If you would like you can post up a picture of each and well see if we can decifer it for ya. The full leaf packs leafs should all look nearly the same, whereas the add a leaf packs leafs will have one leaf that looks out of place.

We're tearing into them tomorrow so we will post up a picture for you guys in the morning. Thanks for the help!

XJ Wheeler
12-31-2012, 11:43 PM
We're tearing into them tomorrow so we will post up a picture for you guys in the morning. Thanks for the help!

Glad to help out, anytime!

az350x
01-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Any drawbacks to one wheel offset versus the other? The 33's that he wants to keep have more of an offset (tires pushed out further away from truck- can't remember which way is "positive" and which is "negative"). Is NEGATIVE offset when the face of the wheel is moved inboard, pushing the tire OUT? Anyway, if that's the case, the "keeper" tires have more negative offset on the rims. We'd prefer to not have to dismount/swap the tires on the wheels, but if the lesser-offset wheels offer some big advantage...

Thanks!

And Happy New Year!

4.3LXJ
01-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Moving the tires out further will allow you to turn sharper without rubbing the control arms

Brasscatz
01-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Don't know how much it actually comes into play, but a wider stance seems nice to have on a sideways incline too.