PDA

View Full Version : Jeep shopping

toader63
12-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, new here seems like a very friendly forum! I am currently looking to buy my first jeep. It will be a Cherokee. We found this one and will possibly be going to look at it on Monday since I will still be on Christmas break. :D I know you wont be able to tell me if its a good jeep as in driving but I would like opinions/advice from what you can tell through the ad. Here's the link on autotrader. Thanks!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2014&zip=52057&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerTypes=b&maxPrice=2000&mmt=%5BJEEP%5BCHER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=CHER&sortBy=distanceASC&makeCode1=JEEP&startYear=1981&showcaseOwnerId=0&searchRadius=200&listingId=334059152&listingIndex=6&Log=0

XJ Wheeler
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I like it, looks clean. Try and use the miles in your favor to help in getting the price down.

4x4Dalton
12-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah like Jake said use the mileage to yer favor. Since it does have high mileage see if they will come down on the price. Also make sure it shifts ok and goes in and out of 4wd ok. Plus see if they will let you test drive it to see how it handles. Then once you test drive it pop hood and look underneath as well for leaks.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

XJ Wheeler
12-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah like Jake said use the mileage to yer favor. Since it does have high mileage see if they will come down on the price. Also make sure it shifts ok and goes in and out of 4wd ok. Plus see if they will let you test drive it to see how it handles. Then once you test drive it pop hood and look underneath as well for leaks.

Well said, i wouldn't even think another second if they won't let youdrive it.

toader63
12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys! My parents are a little nervous at the mileage on it. I think i will make a list of things to look for/look over before we go.

4x4Dalton
12-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah it has high mileage but for a jeep that's really not that bad. But still haggle on price because of mileage. Also look at leaf springs make sure they still have a up curve in them if they drooping any then they would need replacing soon also.

KH96XJ
12-28-2012, 08:30 PM
You should ask them to knock some more off just because it is Red. :D J/K Hope everything works as good as it looks.

olliewagon
12-28-2012, 08:37 PM
I bought a 96 cheep with high miles looked real good .but the floors were gone . Check the floors for rust and the frame rails .Milage isn't the problem with this things it's rust .Good luck hunting and welcome to xj land .

toader63
12-28-2012, 08:59 PM
I happen to like red xjs...:rolleye0012:
thanks olliewagon, will make sure to check out the floors

4.3LXJ
12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Check it for rust in general. Lots of rust on the axles and suspension parts will give you grief when you go to fix them. If in doubt, post us some pics