PDA

View Full Version : Weird idle and wont rev after idling

Metlic53
12-23-2012, 11:19 PM
i've never really had much trouble out of my 97 XJ until now, a few months ago i went to pull out a friend of mine in sand and my jeep sat running for about 10 minutes in 75 degree weather, when i had finished winching him out, i could give it full throttle and it would be hesitating like im out of gas and wouldn't rev up, if i kept pumping it would finally rev up but was stumbling like crazy, once i hit the road and it cooled off it was fine, it only reached about 215 on the temp guage.
i thought it was my E3 plugs so i threw in some new champions, i went christmas lighting and had to leave early cuz after 20 minutes of idling it reached 215 and did the same thing, whole engine shaking like it wasnt getting sufficient gas, maybe the gas got too hot to burn? when i would fev it up to 4 and hold it for like 30 seconds it was fine for like 10 minutes then it would start doing it again, its like the gas got too hot and didnt like to burn. i have the neon injectors in it. what do yall think? and it was 60 degrees outside

ArmyGuy45
12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
i've never really had much trouble out of my 97 XJ until now, a few months ago i went to pull out a friend of mine in sand and my jeep sat running for about 10 minutes in 75 degree weather, when i had finished winching him out, i could give it full throttle and it would be hesitating like im out of gas and wouldn't rev up, if i kept pumping it would finally rev up but was stumbling like crazy, once i hit the road and it cooled off it was fine, it only reached about 215 on the temp guage.
i thought it was my E3 plugs so i threw in some new champions, i went christmas lighting and had to leave early cuz after 20 minutes of idling it reached 215 and did the same thing, whole engine shaking like it wasnt getting sufficient gas, maybe the gas got too hot to burn? when i would fev it up to 4 and hold it for like 30 seconds it was fine for like 10 minutes then it would start doing it again, its like the gas got too hot and didnt like to burn. i have the neon injectors in it. what do yall think? and it was 60 degrees outside

Air filter clean? Throttle body sticking? Last time you threw in some injector cleaner?

Metlic53
12-23-2012, 11:52 PM
I dont think an air filter would cause it if it runs fine down the freeway as long as im not sitting still for more than 10 minutes. I run fuel injector cleaner all the time. Throttle body moves freely.

ArmyGuy45
12-23-2012, 11:55 PM
I dont think an air filter would cause it if it runs fine down the freeway as long as im not sitting still for more than 10 minutes. I run fuel injector cleaner all the time. Throttle body moves freely.

Last time you changed your plugs?

cantab27
12-24-2012, 12:53 AM
cps????

Metlic53
12-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Last time you changed your plugs?

3 days ago lol, new champions.
i posted this on cherokeeforum too and they said it could be the fuel line getting too hot vaporizing the gas b4 it hits the engine or it could be my plug wires cap and rotor need replacing. i'm going to do that and run some seafoam through it, its been awhile anyway

ArmyGuy45
12-24-2012, 01:46 AM
3 days ago lol, new champions.
i posted this on cherokeeforum too and they said it could be the fuel line getting too hot vaporizing the gas b4 it hits the engine or it could be my plug wires cap and rotor need replacing. i'm going to do that and run some seafoam through it, its been awhile anyway

Well I hope that does it. Good luck.