PDA

View Full Version : It's Spins Me Round and Round...

Mudderoy
12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
This morning going to work I heard the tail tale noises of brakes needing to be replaced.

Wheel pulling to one side during braking yesterday. Today I heard scraping noises, but strangely the noise didn't change with braking. I was certainly coming from the front though. Very strange.

So I got off early today and that noise was just really loud. I made it a little more than half way home when it started randomly pulling to the driver's side. Not during braking just driving straight down the road!

It was so bad that I decided I needed to get off the road and stop driving NOW!

I pulled off into the grass. I got out and started checking the wheels.

A lady that was walking down the road that I had passed, walked up, and as she was passing by she said it's not that one (I was looking at the driver's side front wheel) it's this one (pointing at the driver's side front wheel) that was wobbling. WOBBLING?!?!?!?! Holy hell!

I could see ANY problem, so I drove a little further. It was obvious that there was a very bad problem, so pulled off into a field.

After talking a bit to msmoorenburg on the phone and then thinking about his question, could it be the wheel bearing...

So after a brief few seconds I decided to call a wrecker. Well hello "AAA" card that I really bought for my wife!

About an hour later...

http://youtu.be/T07VFrPZpJg

4.3LXJ
12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Good thing you caught that instead of loosing a wheel

Brasscatz
12-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Holy crap, Tony... scary! I think I have an extra stock wheel bearing in my garage that you can use. I know you have the Timkens, but it'll hold ya over until you get a replacement.

I'd better make sure I have it before you say you want it though ;)

ArmyGuy45
12-21-2012, 08:50 PM
So what do you think it is? Tire rod?

Carves
12-21-2012, 08:53 PM
X 2 with 4.3LXJ

... that could have been nasty if you ignored the noise.

................. A lady that was walking down the road that I had passed, walked up, and as she was passing by she said it's not that one (I was looking at the driver's side front wheel) it's this one (pointing at the driver's side front wheel) that was wobbling. WOBBLING?!?!?!?! Holy hell! .................

I think your problem might be too much weight on one end of the axle ...

... what with two "drivers side front wheels" and all .. ;);) .. :D

ArmyGuy45
12-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Holy crap, Tony... scary! I think I have an extra stock wheel bearing in my garage that you can use. I know you have the Timkens, but it'll hold ya over until you get a replacement.

I'd better make sure I have it before you say you want it though ;)

A bearing could cause the to wobble that bad? Wow.

Mudderoy
12-21-2012, 09:15 PM
So what do you think it is? Tire rod?

Wheel bearing assembly failed. Timken unit bearing, about 89k miles on them. Combo 32" and 33" tires for the entire duration of their life.

ArmyGuy45
12-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Wheel bearing assembly failed. Timken unit bearing, about 89k miles on them. Combo 32" and 33" tires for the entire duration of their life.
Is this common for them to wear out around 100k?

XJ Wheeler
12-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Got away easy on that one, could've been so much worse. A Christmas blessing!

4x4Dalton
12-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Wow Tony ya got uper lucky bro. My right one is goin out( sounds like I'm goin over a wooden bridge on that side). Matt and me are gonna swap both out next weekend. Again Tony man wow you are lucky that thing didn't vib on you.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

BlueXJ
12-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Great Christmas present from your Jeep to you.

gary63
12-22-2012, 09:43 AM
you were lucky I had one come apart on me now I change my at 50k and put the old one on the shelf for emergens that friend seams to need one for aweek or two until paydays.Thank heaven you cot that.

Mudderoy
12-22-2012, 01:47 PM
http://youtu.be/kBqjgRqxl_c

thesupercroc
12-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Nice video. you got a rare shot of builders truly working! better sell it to some new org.:D

4x4Dalton
12-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Great vid Tony. Can't believe ya did all yer own stunts :) That did sound really bad there at the end.

bluedragon436
12-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm almost wondering if this isn't the same issue I might be starting to have on mine...

Dredwolf
12-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, since I am apparently going to replace EVERYTHING on this blasted D30....:bang:

How do I go to the Timkens? Or is there a "premium" unit bearing?

My '99 has aftermarket rotors already, I have ABS, but have all the junkyard parts and lines to change everything.

Mudderoy
12-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Well, since I am apparently going to replace EVERYTHING on this blasted D30....:bang:

How do I go to the Timkens? Or is there a "premium" unit bearing?

My '99 has aftermarket rotors already, I have ABS, but have all the junkyard parts and lines to change everything.

Thats a hard one. I had 100k out of the factory ones, and about 89k out of the TIMKINs

the 100k was stock tires, mostly...

4.3LXJ
12-22-2012, 11:35 PM
As far as I know, I am on the originals at nearly 300K

4x4Dalton
12-22-2012, 11:39 PM
As far as I know, I am on the originals at nearly 300K

Same as my 95 it's over 330,000 still on originals as far as I know.

Mudderoy
12-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I changed the factory wheel bearings because of a noise I couldn't figure out. Turned out to be the transfer case chain.

gary63
12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Timkens ware relly good now days I wood put them in right with other good bearings CHINA is the cheap ones now to say away from.

bluedragon436
12-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah I def think I'll be looking at picking up some Timken's if I find out that is what is causing my noise in my drivers side hub area....

NW99XJ
12-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I've been beating the living you-know-what out of my NAPA Premium HD Unit bearings for quite some time now. I'd have to go back and actually look up the mileage i've put on them. But i've been quite happy so far. The Timkens DO have a great reputation, and seem to be some of the best you can buy, obviously there are other options, but I think you get what you pay for.
When I swapped mine out, It hadn't gotten QUITE as bad as your Tony, but the passenger side was HOWLING at me...and kept getting worse. I may have been about a day away from the kind of noises I heard on your video.....that was pretty bad.
Glad you got it back home, safe and sound.
Watch those axle seals when you do the swap.....
By the way...here's a brief vid of my old vs. new bearings....as I was doing the swap.
Axle-Joints & Unit-Hubs_04-2112 030.avi - YouTube

Dredwolf
12-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Since mine has aftermarket rotors, how do I tell which unit bearings I am supposed to use?

The cast iron or the composite?:confused:

cantab27
12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
i chew through them down here ...hate mud , water and bigger muddies.....stuped designe ..my 2 cents carry on

gary63
12-24-2012, 09:26 AM
will there are 2 kits $$ both that changes the xj hub to dana 44 hub and rotor and outside axel.that way you can clean and repack the bearings and hubs.

gary63
12-24-2012, 09:52 AM
here is one site http://spyntec.com/category/jeep-tj-yj-xj-88-07-spyntec-hub-conversion-kit/ they are not cheap but a nice upgrade

Mudderoy
12-24-2012, 10:40 AM
here is one site http://spyntec.com/category/jeep-tj-yj-xj-88-07-spyntec-hub-conversion-kit/ they are not cheap but a nice upgrade

HOLY shit! I think I'll just by a Dana 44 with locker for $2500

gary63
12-24-2012, 04:24 PM
you got that right.

Mudderoy
12-27-2012, 10:41 PM
So all the goodies are in. Had to wait an extra day to get the final bits. The Timken bearings came in Monday, so I could have installed them Monday night, Tuesday day.

Alloy USA Dana 30/44 axle seals.

Dredwolf
12-27-2012, 10:50 PM
I asked this in my gears thread, because I keep reading major differences in opinions....the aftermarket outer seals, are they worth it?

I have read threads where they trap mud in, but they are marketed as keeping mud out.:confused:

Mudderoy
12-27-2012, 11:04 PM
I asked this in my gears thread, because I keep reading major differences in opinions....the aftermarket outer seals, are they worth it?

I have read threads where they trap mud in, but they are marketed as keeping mud out.:confused:

When I went to purchase the Timken bearings, Amazon "conveniently" reminded me about these.

I've read that they will spin and tear the seals. I guess we'll see. :D

gary63
12-28-2012, 07:17 AM
I install them when I rebiult my front end the freind who help me has used them
he likes to put them on when he replaces the iner seal then he cleans up the inside of the tube. the problem is people put them on with junk inside and then it is stuck.

olliewagon
12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Let us know how the seals work out . I bought and installed them and greased them ,no grease came out the of seal i think it is filling up inside .I can't believe you bought black insted of ,red .Make sure you clean inside axle tube and use loc-tite (the right stuff) is the name of the selant .I've used this on everything (diffs' t-case trans oil pans).

Dredwolf
12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Let us know how the seals work out . I bought and installed them and greased them ,no grease came out the of seal i think it is filling up inside .I can't believe you bought black insted of ,red .Make sure you clean inside axle tube and use loc-tite (the right stuff) is the name of the selant .I've used this on everything (diffs' t-case trans oil pans).

I was going to mention the color, but thought maybe Tony was going to have them re-anno'ed to a special red.

X2 on keeping us posted, I am considering these on my rebuild.

olliewagon
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
The red looks good . They stand out on the black axle . They were an impulse buy when i bought bearings and u joints .

Mudderoy
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Sometimes RED is a state of mind and not just a color. :P :wink:

4.3LXJ
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Isn't that usually associated with anger?

Mudderoy
12-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Isn't that usually associated with anger?

Passion, love, blood, sexy vehicles...

bluedragon436
12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
So all the goodies are in. Had to wait an extra day to get the final bits. The Timken bearings came in Monday, so I could have installed them Monday night, Tuesday day.

Alloy USA Dana 30/44 axle seals.

Thinking I'll be looking at picking up these exact same parts for my XJ here in the next month or so... I've been meaning to replace my driver's side outer seal for a while now... so might as well do it while I'm doing the bearings!!

Dredwolf
12-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Guess this means I have to order something else. Are the Alloy USA the only choice?

Dressing the tubes before installing makes perfect sense, doing the inners when I do the gears anyway.

Any other tips to make these things work as intended?

4.3LXJ
12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Passion, love, blood, sexy vehicles...

Traffic citation .....

gary63
12-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Guess this means I have to order something else. Are the Alloy USA the only choice?

Dressing the tubes before installing makes perfect sense, doing the inners when I do the gears anyway.

Any other tips to make these things work as intended?

the best time is when you are replacing the inside seal that way you can clean the tube and flush it out good.I use a wire wheel atatched to a long rod or a ball hone to clean the rust and crud out of the tube.also think about were you place the grease zirt.

Mudderoy
12-29-2012, 02:51 AM
http://youtu.be/j8aGjfiP9Wk

olliewagon
12-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Mud you should have torqed them to 160lbs . I did the same the first time and thay didn't last the year. lesson learned the hard way.

thesupercroc
12-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Why do you tease us like that? i what the test drive NOW! ;);):rolleye0012:

Looks good are you going to replace the other side soon?

Mudderoy
12-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Why do you tease us like that? i what the test drive NOW! ;);):rolleye0012:

Looks good are you going to replace the other side soon?

lol, actually I haven't test driven it yet!

I really didn't see the sense in torquing the big nut to 160/170 lbs. After all it's just holding the axle on the bearing. I checked with Matt and thought about it, and I guess what it does helps hold the bearing together during stressful moments.

I didn't torque the bearings I took off and they lasted 89k miles.

So I'm going to wait until the 99 gets home (recently replaced those wheel bearings) and torque both the 98 and 99 to 175 lbs. I'll probably do the taped test drive tomorrow since it will be dark by the time I'm done this evening.

4x4Dalton
12-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the how to vid Tony. I had never changed wheel bearings before and didn't realize it was that simple a task. Changed both of mine yesterday. Right side was gettin like yers and left side had a lil play in it. Rides and handles 100% better now.

cantab27
12-30-2012, 01:42 PM
not throwing eggs or shit ...but.. this kinda thing could be caught before the tow home is needed......like i said i eat em down here , mud , big tires = dead bearings......they are on the list when i check my jeep for wear and tear...jack jeep up , grab wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 , if slightest movement they are on there way out....cheap easy job to replace for you fellas...:o. put it on ya list ,ie oils , water ,tires , leaks.. etc etc ..;)

cantab27
12-30-2012, 01:45 PM

open to this...when i pulled front diff in barbie , was all kinda shit in there....but i do bathe the jeep in mud..:rolleye0012:....

am running them........mine are red .............................nice

Mudderoy
12-30-2012, 03:20 PM
not throwing eggs or shit ...but.. this kinda thing could be caught before the tow home is needed......like i said i eat em down here , mud , big tires = dead bearings......they are on the list when i check my jeep for wear and tear...jack jeep up , grab wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 , if slightest movement they are on there way out....cheap easy job to replace for you fellas...:o. put it on ya list ,ie oils , water ,tires , leaks.. etc etc ..;)

Prior to this I assumed two things.

1) They normally go out on the trail
2) They make a grinding noise well prior to getting to the point of needing a tow.

Also I have never jacked up the Jeep and tried rocking the wheel back and forth for play. I have now, so I know what to expect both from new bearings and ones that are well worn.

Hopefully my video will help some other poor bastard out that has never had the experience either.

cantab27
12-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Prior to this I assumed two things.

1) They normally go out on the trail
2) They make a grinding noise well prior to getting to the point of needing a tow.

Also I have never jacked up the Jeep and tried rocking the wheel back and forth for play. I have now, so I know what to expect both from new bearings and ones that are well worn.

Hopefully my video will help some other poor bastard out that has never had the experience either.

never heard grinding noise but first time mine were on way out there was a slight wobble through steering wheel at certain speed ..thought tires were outta balance...again just a stupid design tony..other makes got it right with there adjustable ones...tis the jeep thing....:bang:

Mudderoy
12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
never heard grinding noise but first time mine were on way out there was a slight wobble through steering wheel at certain speed ..thought tires were outta balance...again just a stupid design tony..other makes got it right with there adjustable ones...tis the jeep thing....:bang:

Agreed. I just wish there was a more affordable alternative than the $1K+ solution.

4.3LXJ
12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
For that much you could have a D44 with a locker and have money left over for some brackets

Mudderoy
12-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Well the 99 front wheels off and axle nut torqued to 170 lbs. I barely moved it to get it there. Replaced all the lug nuts too.

Did the 98 axle nuts. Also checked the play in the bearing while I had a wheel attached and in the air. No wiggle. So now I have a good benchmark. I'll be sure and check them in a year, then every year.

I need to get the TJ up in the air so I can check those.

Mudderoy
12-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Dredwolf
12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
So any lessons learned during the install of the outer seals?

Since I am going to have the Dana 30 tore down so much to do the gears, thinking about changing the unit bearings too.

But I have to get measurements....I have aftermarket rotors....or does it matter when I have aftermarket rotors, vs the composite or cast?:confused:

cantab27
12-30-2012, 09:48 PM

Since I am going to have the Dana 30 tore down so much to do the gears, thinking about changing the unit bearings too.

But I have to get measurements....I have aftermarket rotors....or does it matter when I have aftermarket rotors, vs the composite or cast?:confused:

do axle seals why shes apart ........;)

Dredwolf
12-30-2012, 09:52 PM
do axle seals why shes apart ........;)

I would have never thought of that. Wayne, thank you for pointing out those key details I would have missed without your thoughtful and considerate insight.:P

:smiley-laughing021:

cantab27
12-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I would have never thought of that. Wayne, thank you for pointing out those key details I would have missed without your thoughtful and considerate insight.:P

:smiley-laughing021:

lol...if it wasnt for jeff from rockridge4wd throwing some in with my locker when shipping it i would have forgot ..........:mad0029:.......;)

Mudderoy
12-31-2012, 01:18 AM

Make sure you have enough room to get the grease gun fitting on. I pushed the first one in a little too far. Only needed maybe 1/8th of an inch.

gary63
12-31-2012, 09:36 AM
use good waterproof grease