PDA

View Full Version : What can the stock XJ really do?

ArmyGuy45
12-21-2012, 07:19 AM
I equate the Jeep line as being like the AR line. There are so many trinkets and tactical ninja stuff you can do to a Jeep its crazy. But what can the stock XJ really do? What is the stock XJ biggest weakness? Lift? Lockers?

The only reason why I am bring this is up I have heard that the XJ was the reason why we have the 4x4 SUV market today. So what makes the XJ stand out differently from the rest?

4x4Dalton
12-21-2012, 09:12 AM
The way it was built the factory suspension system and the inline 6. All 3 of those together and you got a vehicle that can pretty much do what any regular person needs in a 4 wheel drive.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

prcjeep
12-21-2012, 10:50 AM
It hauls up to five, tows up to 5K lbs has decent large amount of cargo space for SUV of its size. Pretty sturdy roof rack, light weight, narrower track than previous Wagoneers/full size vehicles, and decent stock 4x4 capabilites

msmoorenburg
12-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Not too many mass produced autos can handle this kind of abuse repeatedly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do0cbG-5jYk

ArmyGuy45
12-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Not too many mass produced autos can handle this kind of abuse repeatedly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do0cbG-5jYk

Man that Jeep took a lot of abuse.

XJ Wheeler
12-21-2012, 07:20 PM
The way it was built the factory suspension system and the inline 6. All 3 of those together and you got a vehicle that can pretty much do what any regular person needs in a 4 wheel drive.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

Regular person?!?! Makes us sound so... abnormal. :D

The cherokee is also just so versatile. They could fit in just about anywhere and fit just about every person. People saw them as more than just a car. Ever notice how people refer to them as their "Jeep". You never hear any Explorer owners saying "go put that in my Ford", or blazer owners "my chevy needs an alignment".

Plus they're just so pretty in blue.:p

Carves
12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I equate the Jeep line as being like the AR line. There are so many trinkets and tactical ninja stuff you can do to a Jeep its crazy. But what can the stock XJ really do? What is the stock XJ biggest weakness? Lift? Lockers?

The only reason why I am bring this is up I have heard that the XJ was the reason why we have the 4x4 SUV market today. So what makes the XJ stand out differently from the rest?

Stock Xj is quite capable imho ... but like all vehicles - its actual capabilities are dependant on the terrain its shoved into ... and the drivers ability.

Apart from the issues of jamming a a great big straight six in an engine bay designed for smaller dimension engines ... I dont think it has any weaknesses as such ... for its intended design use as an all wheel drive, DD, compact, station wagon .. ;)

I also think the SUV market was going to happen regardless of the XJ.

Subaru had a 4wd on the go in the early, early 70's. Then there was all the clunkier, heavier duty stuff like FSJ Cherokees, Toyotas FJ55 ... and then Mitsubishi and Nissan wagons, a coupla years before the XJ.

The XJ however ... ticks a lot boxes tho ... particularly when its old school charm and construction - managed to contend with all the new, other brand, bling buggies, introduced during the course of the XJs production.

... as for its sales figures ??? .... It had a large, home team crowd, supporting it .. as they should ;)